ACER T300: Need patch to run on 1680 x 1050 resolution

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
m8
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi CP (and others),

Just got a 20inch Dell monitor yesterday and found this morning that I cannot run it under 1680x1050 resolution. Below are my specs:

Compter: ACER T300
Mainboard Manufacturer: ACER
MAINBOARD: ACER L4S5MG/651+
BIOS ID: SiS-651-6A6IXDDDC-00
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies
CHIPSET: SiS 651
Physical memory: 1280 MB DDR SDRAM

The product information in the BIOS says:
MAINBOARD ID: L4S5MG/651+
System Bios version: V6.0
SMBIOS version: 2.3
System BIOS ID: R01-C1

The adapter information on Display Properties/Advanced/Adapter shows:
Chip Type: SiS 651
DAC Type: Internal
Memory size: 32Mb
Adapter string: Mirage
Bios Information: 1.12.4

I have SiS UniVGA3 ("uvga3_373") installed and the latest monitor inf too. Although I can see 1680x1050 resolution in the screen resolution window of Display Properties, when I set the monitor to that, I get a blank screen. It goes upto 1280x1024 with no problems.

I have searched the forums and have found that many people have received a patched Bios file from you (CP) and am wondering if you or anyone can assist me please.

Previously there was a direct link to the BIOS update (Acer Australia) and it was in an exe format which required a floppy and it would extract to the floppy. The file after extraction was called "R01-C1.bin". Its no longer on ACER Australia website, although I have a copy of it saved in my archives. Initially I thought I might send you this to patch, but then realised that you don't know me and hence may not trust the exe, so I searched ACER's Euro website and they have a copy of this "R01-C1.bin" . The link is ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/desktop/as ... _r01c1.zip

I did a comparison of the "R01-C1.bin" with the one I had and the one in the zip file obtained from the above website and they have the same md5, so if you can patch that and send me the file, I would so much appreciate. I noticed that on http://www.wimsbios.com/files/vgabiospatched/bios.jsp there is a file called "ECS L4S5MG/651+ v3.02 ", I am guessing mine is slightly different as nowhere on mysystem does it say ECS, instead it says ACER L4S5MG/651+. Eagerly awaiting your assistance.
cp
BIOS Guru

please make a backup of your current bios. or just try the patched bios available on our download page since the Acer guys don't make any mainboards themselves anymore. to be sure open up your rig and take a look at the mainboard for any markings or silkscreened brand/model/make information.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
m8

Hi CP,
Make thanks for looking into my request. On the ACER website http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/de ... _t300.html there are 2 ways to update my ACER BIOS. One is via a floppy and the other is via WinFlash utility. I tried the floppy technique (at bootup) and I get the message wrong bios version (i believe it was this message I got when I tried using "51402.bin") and I stopped there. When I use the WinFlash utility and point to the "51402.bin" found on your download page, I get the message "Please load the correct BIOS file". So either way the update cannot be done using your patched file. If on the other hand I were to use the original R01C1.bin, both method works fine for me.

I also read the sticky and tried to download a generic cbrom file and I keep getting the message "Unable to locate R01C1.bin file" or any file name I throw at it. Sorry but I am not very good at BIOS stuff and hence this question. Can you please recommend how I can proceed from here eg does your version of CBROM allow you to view inside R01C1.bin, because if it does then perhaps I can try using the CBROM method with your CBROM. Or if you would like me to try anything else.....
cp
BIOS Guru

i patched it and it'll be available on the download page asap.
m8

I very much appreciate it and will post back with the results :D
m8

Hi CP,

I don't want to trouble you with this, but just wondering what name would it be under in the downloads page. If you are still working on it, no hurry, just in case you have already uploaded it and I am looking for it in the wrong location thats all :D
cp
BIOS Guru

sorry it took me so long, but now the bios is available on the download page. please report back with the results!
m8

CP,
What can I say! You are simply the best! Many many thanks to you for your help, I now have 1680x1050 resolution. :D
cp
BIOS Guru

thanks for reporting back. and happy widescreen computing :)