40 GB seagate harddrive is not recognized by older CPU

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
mapmap
BIOS Newbie

kk thank you i can reinstall XP on it tomorrow

and you said there is no more BIOS updates but BIOS agent plus says there is do they make BIOS upgrade? or do they just lie?

Oh i looked around on www.ecs.com and found some ther updates 4 my BIOS they are all version 1.4 and one says it supports a hard drive with more then 65 gb would my BIOS then be able to run my other 250 gb hard drive and how come there is so many version 1.4 of my BIOS

any help would be great!
cp
BIOS Guru

version 1.2h is definately the latest BIOS for your mainboard. don't try to flash those 1.4 versions unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing.

with the new version your BIOS will detect drives upto 128GB which is the maximum size for LBA28. now it starts to get a little tricky: if you are using Windows 98 the size of your harddrive depends on the BIOS. so 128GB is all you can get without patches. without patched means: there are patches for Windows files that handle harddisks. but even more important: those patches eliminate some other limitations found in other system files. the problem with Windows 98 is that if any program goes around those files and writes data on your harddisk it probably destroys all your data.
Windows 2000/XP and Linux on the other hand query the harddrive after the OS is loaded. so they completely ignore any BIOS data on the harddisks which really really really is a good thing (tm)! to the extend they support LBA48 which means that the maximum supported disk size is 144PB (PetaByte). no need to patch anything (despite adding the latest service pack ofcourse), no worries about running into problems.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
mapmap
BIOS Newbie

kk thanks for the help my CPU is now working!