DFI p5bv3+ and 20gb: 01/03/2000-VP3-586B-CD-2A5LED4CC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

Hi all,

i have a problem with a DFI P5BV3+ with lastest official bios installed
01/03/2000-VP3-586B-CD-2A5LED4CC-00

The board does not recognize a seagate barracuda II ata33 20gb, that is full functional and in a newer pc runs fine.

When i mount on the board an old 1.2gb hd it recognizes this old drive, so i think it is a bios problem.

Can you help me on solving this problem? :D
Denniss
BIOS Guru

This should not be a board or Bios problem - at least HDD up to 32GB should be supported or even more.

Please verify it's not a cable problem or mismatched Master/Slave/Cable Select jumpers on your HDD.
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

something strange is happening:

i upgraded the bios with the lastest version found here
http://wims.rainbow-software.org/

update went ok, bios seems to run fine

anyway, i still have problems with my hd

It seems that when i connect it alone, even if in master position and master or cable select pin, it does recognize it and take it as slave

If i connect it together with the dvd reader, it does recognize only the dvd reader, and always as slave.

Another thing that i have noticed is that the mainboard only supports 80pin ide cables, instead all recent ide cables have like 79 pins (missing 1 in the middle) so i cannot divide them in 2 channels, because i have only 1 old version of the ide cable
cp
BIOS Guru

you must have gotten the pinhead position wrong. those images on hdds often don't state how to look at the pinhead making setting jumpers quite a lottery. if you can't set the drive to master, just set the dvd-drive to master. it doesn't make any difference anyway.

for the 80 cable ribbon: cut the pin at the ide connector on the mainboard (it's just a key, it doesn't have an electrical function) or remove the plastic stopper from the connector with a needle.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

i have found another 80pin old cable and used it for moving dvdram unit on secondary master channel

Now, alone on primary channel, hd is recognized by the bios, the problem is that i can't set it as master, but only as slave.

I have checked configuration and pin position more then 10 times, and still have not understood why i cant set it as master :?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

AFAIR removing all Master/Slave jumpers is understood by the drive as Slave setting. So either the jumper you used is damaged or does not work properly or it is incorrectly set.
Master/Single-Master should be the jumper block just next to the IDE connector.
Please make sure all IDE ports in Bios are set to use Auto detection with LBA enabled. If using the 80-wire cable please make sure the black end is connected to your HDD and the coloured connector on the opposite side is conected to your board.

From your Bios-ID it looks you have the revision B motherboard, if you have the A or C revision then you have installed a wrong Bios. BTW the latest Bios should be 11/30/2000. Revision number should be printed onto your board.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?v ... age=Legacy
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

Denniss wrote:AFAIR removing all Master/Slave jumpers is understood by the drive as Slave setting. So either the jumper you used is damaged or does not work properly or it is incorrectly set.
Master/Single-Master should be the jumper block just next to the IDE connector.
Please make sure all IDE ports in Bios are set to use Auto detection with LBA enabled. If using the 80-wire cable please make sure the black end is connected to your HDD and the coloured connector on the opposite side is conected to your board.

From your Bios-ID it looks you have the revision B motherboard, if you have the A or C revision then you have installed a wrong Bios. BTW the latest Bios should be 11/30/2000. Revision number should be printed onto your board.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?v ... age=Legacy
I have not removed the pins, instead i have added them to the units that didn't have one.

Anyway i will try to move the pin next to the ide connector (even if on my hd is written it is cable select) and to mount the cable the way u said.

As for board version and bios, i have written yesterday that i upgraded to this version
11/30/2000-VP3-586B-CD-2A5LED4CC-00
that is the lastest, and my mainboard is a rev B (B5 exactly) so it's ok.

Another problem related to that mainboard seems to be related to IRQ distribution and ISA PnP cards, im having many problems into installing a soundblaster 64gold isa pnp and a 3com 509b isa pnp in win98se.
Just a few hours ago managed to let somehow the system recognizing the soundblaster, and now is operative.

Anyway when i add a new pci card, IRQ PCI steering driver (via 4in1 4.35) uninstall alone, and somehow it uninstall all isa cards. :?
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

Ok, little update:

the cable was installed correctly but the pin position image on top of the hd was wrong, it was reversed, infact when i placed the jumper on the pins near the ide cable bios recognized it as master.

The irq conflict was caused by VIA irq steering driver: not installing it solved the problem

Now the problem is that using any regular browser cause after a few seconds a crash in gdi32.dll, and a format is not going to solve this problem because i formatted 3 times and all the times it created that problem.

Possible causes could be:
- video driver problems: if it is not much i can do for it, these are the lastest one for rendition cards
- flash 10, installed for both activeX and firefox/opera browser:
i have yet to try on not installing it, sacrificing ability to see flash sites

im running win98se atm, maybe there is a better flash version which should i look for?
The crash happens on both ie5 and opera9.62
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

you want to install each and every last update for 98SE these days:
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#98SE

there were several gdi32 patches all of which were to prevent crashes.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Denniss
BIOS Guru

BTW Flash10 is not supposed to be Win9x compatible. The latest Win9x flash should be 9.0.151.

Please update the Internet Exploder to at least IE5.5 SP2 or IE6 and get all the updates Windowsupdate offers you. If not offered by Windowsupdate then update to DirectX9 by downloading it from MS.

Maybe you want to look for a somewhat more decent video card, old ATI Rage Pro/128 or older generation Radeon should be available very cheap. Maybe use Matrox cards if this should be for office.
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

Thanks for replies :D

Ill use these updates from mdgx site, i remember that i found them an year ago but were unable to find it back during this week.
Thanks for the tip on flash version too, probably this is the problem.
Anyway youtube videos are running even with flash10 installed

About dx9 and newer gfx cards, unluckily this is not possible, this is going to be a retrogaming pc, im using it for going on internet just because my main pc went on fire 2 times during the last 3 weeks (LOL :lol: ), so i really need the cards that are installed on (rendition verite v2200, 3dfx voodoo and Nec PowerVR)
Probably the only possible upgrades for not breaking compatibility with glide games are going to be 2 voodoo2 in sli (im already working for getting these :D , but need to find shorter ones like canopus pure3dII, because reference design is too long for being installed on second pci slot, CPU heatsink would be in the way)
Lastest Dx upgrade that does not mess up old games is 7.x, but if i can keep it on running 6.1 atm is better, because Dx installations are some of the few things in life that last "forever" (until next format :D ), so i'll leave it as a last resort.

Other future upgrades will be:
- 120 gb hd ide (bios should support it - 3 partitions: Win98SE, Win95OSR2.5/not all win95 games run well on 98, Dos/still dunno which version, maybe 1 of the newer opensource forks)
- + 1 dimm 128 pc133 (so i can run it with low latencies at pc100)
- USB (if i get a compatible bracket)
-maybe a DFI K6bv3+/66 if ill find it at decent price
- Aureal Vortex 2 8830 chipset PCI for A3d 2.0 support (better if it is revision B like SQ2500 superquad, but this is really rare today)
- LS120 internal (in case i dont get usb working for fast file exchange, and because these are still some of the faster internal floppy disk drives around)
- Floppy 5.25" 1.2mb (for even older games, but need to find a recent version, or will be incompatible with 40pin floppy port)

Edit:
Just for clearance, this is the current config:

A robust AT middletower (2x5.25", 2x3.5" external, 1x3.5" internal)
450W ATX powersupply
DFI p5bv3+ rev b5 using ATX power
AMD K6 III+ 450@550mhz (like all k6plus it runs fine at 550)
256mb sdram (2x128) PC133 running at pc100
QDI Vision 1 - Rendition Verite V2200 8mb AGP2x (using 1.48bios + win9x official 3.0beta5 drivers)
Orchid Righteous 3d PCI 4 mb - 3dfx Voodoo 1 (using iceman modded 3.01.01 drivers /would like to find a skywell magic 3d 8mb :/ )
Matrox M3d 4Mb PCI - Nec PowerVR PCX2 (using Pvr revolution 4.1.3 modded drivers)
Creative Sound Blaster 64 Gold Isa Pnp
3com Etherlink III 509b ISA PnP
Seagate Barracuda II ata33 20gb + Maxtor 1,2gb
LG H10N ide (this thing read everything, even cd full of scratches or damaged, it's perfect for a retrogaming rig)
regular Floppy 3.5 (luckily for error i swapped the "original" 1996one with a 2001 one that i had on my main pc, because the old one caused a shortcircuit that burned the powersupply; in a little case like the AT one and with such an old powersupply on it if this shortcircuit would have happened on the retrogaming rig it would have burned all)
Denniss
BIOS Guru

As a long-time Win98SE user I have never seen a broken old game just because of using DirectX 9.0c (and I played a lot of older DOS/Win95 games).

I suggest the following:
Get a better Master VGA card, a Matrox G200 or G400 should be a cheap and good replacement, provide better driver support and the superior 2D image quality also helps.
Dump the Voodoo1 and the Power VR combination for a single Voodoo2 - way better to have two differend 3D acellerator cards.

If you need to uninstall/reinstall then look for a tool called DirectX buster. If you want to get a little more performace off your computer then install the VIA Raid PCI performance patch
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?Pa ... bCatID=118
this little prog improves PCI performance on older VIa chipsets but has to be reinstalled if the VIA 4in1 driver was updated/removed.

BTW you'd better use the 4in1 4.43 driver instead of the rather old 4.35.
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

I formatted again, after having some problems with the lan card, i managed to let it run.

I installed win98 se eng.
Then i wanted to install the unofficial sp2.1stable, but it needed dx9, and these needed netframework, and this needed ie5.01

So i installed ie6.0sp1 - went ok
then framework 1.1 - crashed lot of times but somehow installed after a while
then fw1.1 sp1 - installed but at next restart crashed lot of times
then fw2.0 - installation failed

Now i can't remove any framework version, even with "net framework clean up utility" programmed by a ms programmer that i found on google.

Dunno what to do: if i format again i will have this framework problem again, but if i dont install framework i cant install the needed updates for preventing gdi32.dll crash

What should i do then?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

DX9 does not need NET framework. Better stick to the IE 5.5SP2 if you're not going to use it for Internet.
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

The link that you sent me says the opposite

http://www.mdgx.com/dx.htm#MDX

Managed DirectX (MDX) component requires Microsoft .Net Framework Redistributable (NFR) [22.4 MB, free] already installed!

Normal install says that cabinets cannot be trusted, web install says that it does need net framework