Help my Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2 has died

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Trebour
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi i have this board and an itel quad chip, i have just installed a new graphics card, and all was fine then i decided it would be a great idea to play with the bus frequencys in my bios (big mistake),
I rebooted and nothing happened, all that does happen is the dvd drive tries to read whats in the drive constantly, it doesn't beep any more the floppy drive isn't working ether,
I tried to reset the board and left the battery out for quite a while, i also have tried to recover the bios, with a cd with the instructions on the Intel site
http://support.intel.com/support/mother ... .htm#cdrom
I have tried with floppy and took the dvd off line but to no avail,
it isn't getting recognized
i have also removed the graphics card and see if it booted but no,
i have even checked the leads on every thing,
I have even changed my memory to see if not is a prob,
the board seems operational as if i do take the memory out the board beeps at me, also i know the bios has been reset as i had turned off my on board lan connection as im wireless, since i took the battery out etc the lan is now operational as it flashs when is turned on strange.
is this a bios problem which i think it is? and does any one know how to fix it?
Can i have damaged my cpu or board by doing what ive done?
Shall i just go buy a new board or cpu?
Any help i would greatly appresh no one seems to know any thing about this
Thanks Rob
Trebour

Update :

It only took me 7 days to work out the problem haha, after taking to 3 computer shops whom had no idea, and after talking to a so called expert at intel who again couldn't help,
The problem was for some reason after the changes i made to the bios nothing worked apart from the dvd drive going nuts, baffled after clearing the cmos and trying to reinstall the bios still no joy then today i tried everything i possibilly could changed everything on the board still nothing
In the manual it refers to how to have jumpers for bios recovery etc.... thats it and normal boot,
i looked very closely at my board to check for damage of any kind and saw another jumper configuration for the bios refering to bios config in the 2-3 position rather than in 1-2 position normal,
and hey presto it let me in to the bios wooooooohhhhhooooohhhoooooowwwwwwwhhhhhooooooo
needless to say i was happy so reset what i had done wrong put the jumpers back to normal position and its works,
i have learn t a very important lesson

If it's not broken, don't fix it rolleyes.gif
theycontrolus

I experiencing the same situation and this is the second time in 2 months my intel bios has done this. First time i ended up having to ship it back for exchange. but now im skeptical about the bios. Let me ask you did you have any video display on the monitor when trying to boot or was there NO VIDEO displayed. I do not like the fact that i have no video to diagnose the problem after i changed a couple of settings.
Retired_Ted

theycontrolus wrote:I experiencing the same situation and this is the second time in 2 months my intel bios has done this. First time i ended up having to ship it back for exchange. but now im skeptical about the bios. Let me ask you did you have any video display on the monitor when trying to boot or was there NO VIDEO displayed. I do not like the fact that i have no video to diagnose the problem after i changed a couple of settings.
I just recovered from the same problem. If you jumper pins 2 and 3 - it'll put you into the maintenance screen from which you can reset everything back to default values.
rbpett

Thank goodness you posted this. I just about crapped a brick when the directions from intel weren't working. Thanks to your post I got it back. Intel should really update their manual and online instructions (which tell you to remove the jumper, not move it to pins 2-3.)
cheers
Trebour

Yes when it does this there is no video feed simply a blank screen, Knowing this information for this board is so important as i sometimes have to boot bios into maintenance mode to reset a wrong overclocking configuration also in this mode you can disable certain safety procedures to be able to overclock.
biosdude

Hey Trebor, from what you describe it is clear that the Board you use comes with EFI BIOS!
Which means, removing CMOS battery will only clear the RTC time. This means in the next boot the time will be reset to default.
In these latest Intel motherboards, I guess you need to use a baseboard jumper to clear the NVRAM. Please double check whether there is a silkscreen text next to the jumper you used with tag "NVRAM_CLR". If so then that is meant for clearing setup changes.

I really wish I read your post the day/time you posted :(

Sorry that you suffered
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

oh and if you are experiencing sketchy bios behaviour, you may want to replace the cmos battery with a fresh one. These boards are old enough to have worn out batteries by now.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Trebour

I was actually thinking this the other day to be honest i think its coming up to its 3rd b'day :)
And still going strong i have the chip overclocked to 3.8 ghz at the moment and the fsb ramped right up, was sketchy at first getting the setting right and had to do a few resets but its all good, Doesnt matter how much you throw at it still keeps going, Very hardy boards !!!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

yeah the nickname is Bad Axe, but should be bad@ss ;-)
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...