AsRock BIOS MOD

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
nico
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi ,

i have a question:

i'm trying to mod the BIOS of an AsRock board.

The model is K7S41GX , bios version 2.80 , link to bios :

http://europe.asrock.com/downloadsite/b ... (2.80).zip

I'm able to succesfully replace/add modules using AMIBCP75. After modifying i checked the result file with an hex editor and all seems to be OK , modules checksums are OK.
There's only one thing i'm not sure it's ok, comparing the modded bios with the original one i can see in the hex editor that the first 4 bytes in the rom image are different. The original asrock bios has a 4 byte value that seems to be some sort of checksum , while in mod bios , generated with amibcp those bytes are set to 0xFF.

Can someone tell what's the exact meaning of those bytes ? Are thay some sort of checsum ? Are a vendor specific (ASROCK) checksum ?
I tryed all combinations for custom CRC and checksum algorithms but none of them produced the correct value .
I don't have a second board to recover bios if something goes wrong so i want to be 100% of what those bytes means .
Can they be a sort of checsum calculated at runtime then the bios is executed ?

Thanks .
Nico.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

checksum is at the end of the file, not at the start. For sure AMIBCP being an AMI tool for AMI bios files, will not give you a corrupt bios.

Just always make sure you have a backup of your current bios and you know how to recover from a corrupt bios flash, just in case. This even applies to flashing manufacturer-made bioses.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
nico

Hi,

first thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if you downloaded and opened the bios file in an hex editor , but just in case you haven't , this is the start of the file :

0116DC6EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.....

then there's an empty section (filled with 0xFF) and then the bios modules .

The file ends with 0xFC 0x00 .

All versions of the bios (i checked 2.80, 2.50 and 2.30) ends with the same word value (0xFC00) , so don't think this could either be a CRC or checksum , since the files should be identicals or have the same byte sum (i thinks it's impossible for 3 different files).

If you use AMIBCP75 and try to extract a module , then replace the same exact module without modifications and save the bios , what you obtain is an exact copy of the original bios , minus the first 4 bytes , that are overwritten with 0xFF , so , insted of 0x11 0x16 0xDC 0x6e (for bios rev 2.80) the files starts with 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF.
The rest of the file , inclusding file size is the same . Just this 4 bytes difference .

I tryed to calculate the CRC and checksum of the file minus those 4 bytes but none of the algo i used produced a correct value.

And for the bios recovery , for Asrock motherboards it's simply not possible (at least not for my model K7S41GX ) since AMIBOOT.ROM method has been disabled by AsRock , so if you flash a wrong bios file the only chance to recover are by using a eeprom programmer (that i don't have ) , or try to reflashing by hot-swap (very risky ).

NIco.
nico

Hi again .

Last night i finally tried to flash the bios .
Is seems that the first 4 bytes in the image are simply not used . Maybe they are there for AsRock to identify a legit bios , but flashing with the bytes set to 0xFF didn't cause any problem.

Unfortunately now i have another problem , i was trying to change DMI data , but after modifying the DMI Data module , inserting into the bios , checking for the bios structure/checsums to be correct , i flashed the modded bios , but after reboot the DMI data structure hasm't changed.
I dumped the data with DMIScope and the old values were still there .
I think that asrock flash tool ASRFlash just didn't update all bios sections .

Can somebody tell me if there's a way to force all bios modules to be updated ?

I had some try with AMIFLASH but it says the chipset and flash rom type are not supported . Also ami flash for windows don't work .
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

What are you trying to achieve?

Oh and you are correct the normal bios tools do not work on Asrock bioses. They modified their version a bit. there's no recovery option.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...