40GB: 03/02/1999-i440ZX-ALI513-2A69KPNDC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
thangpao
New visitors - please read the rules.

:cry: Hi everyone!

Recently my 10gb hard disk crash, so I purchase 40gb seagate hard-disk (as 10 or 20gb hdd is not available anymore) and since my motherboard was not able to detect the new hard disk, I download "Awdf773.exe" and "B687v12.bin" from www.procomp.com.tw and flash my motherboard bios. After flashing the bios, it is all the same(It doesn't recognize or detect the new drive) So what is to be done so that the new hard disk is detected by auto-detection?

Data of my motherboard is as below:

B687ZX BIOS VER:1.2
AWARD PNP BIOS EX V1.0A
03/02/1999-i440ZX-ALI513-2A69KPNDC-00

And after flashing, the above parameters changes to:
B687 BIOS VER:1.2
AWARD PNP BIOS EX V1.0A
02/12/1999-i440BX-ALI513-2A69KPNDC-00

is this ok?
While flashing, is autoexec.bat and config.sys are required? If required what commands are needed?

Will be happy if someone can send me email me the required .bin file as
attachment with instructions.

Thanks
Thangpao
Last edited by thangpao on Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

First, please read the posting rules. Please put the information in the subject. You can edit it to do this.

Second, you have flashed your board with an older BIOS than you had. This is not good ! Did you save your old BIOS ? If so, please zip and email it to me. If not, we will have to look at patching the earlier BIOS to support a bigger disc.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

aaah! also the new BIOS says BX and the one you had before said ZX ! Did you download the B687 or the B687Z BIOS ? I think you need the B687Z BIOS...
thangpao

NickS wrote:First, please read the posting rules. Please put the information in the subject. You can edit it to do this.

Second, you have flashed your board with an older BIOS than you had. This is not good ! Did you save your old BIOS ? If so, please zip and email it to me. If not, we will have to look at patching the earlier BIOS to support a bigger disc.
Hi nicks
I have change the heading is this ok?

And also I had already sent you my original bios .bin and downloaded .bin files to you as an email attachments, please have a look if you can patch.
And if the patch is successful, upto what capacity will it support?

Thanks alot
Thangpao
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Heading is fine now, thanks. I have received the files. The patch should enable support up to 128 Gb. I have emailed you the B687ZX BIOS file patched.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

In an email, thangpao wrote:After flashing, my motherboard give up its ghost!!! What am I to do now?
This is unlucky.
- Did the flash process complete succesfully without errors or warnings?
- Does the board make any beeps, show anything on screen or try to read the floppy disk ?

If it tries to read the floppy disk, create an autoexec.bat file on the diskette containing the flash command. Remember that it will take two or three minutes after the drive light goes out to flash (if there is nothing on the screen).
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I just checked the BIOS in the zipped file I sent you and it has a "binary checksum error" when I try to open it with the MODBIN.EXE utility. The flash utility should have warned you of this. :(
I will send a replacement file.
thangpao

NickS wrote:I just checked the BIOS in the zipped file I sent you and it has a "binary checksum error" when I try to open it with the MODBIN.EXE utility. The flash utility should have warned you of this. :(
I will send a replacement file.
:? I got your newbios files, but my motherboard is not anymore checking for floppy disk, no beeps, and no display. Now seems like I have to find out a hardware eprom programmer in our city, anyway will it work this time? While flashing I used AWDF773.EXE flasher was that ok?

Thanks
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

There is an alternative to hardware EEPROM programming if you have another motherboard which will take the same voltage and size of chip, which is the "hot swap" flashing method. I have used this to rescue BIOS chips when I have modified BIOSes by hand. See http://rainbow.ht.st/hardware/hotflash.html.

I don't know why the ADW733 flash did not warn of a .BIN file checksum error. Does anyone else have any ideas ?

I have unpacked and checked the zip file I sent and this appears to be OK. If you want to check it yourself, find a copy of the DOS utility MODBIN.EXE on the net and run it in the same directory as the NEWBIOS.BIN file. Confirm you can load the NEWBIOS.BIN without error and then ESC to exit.
thangpao

NickS wrote:There is an alternative to hardware EEPROM programming if you have another motherboard which will take the same voltage and size of chip, which is the "hot swap" flashing method. I have used this to rescue BIOS chips when I have modified BIOSes by hand. See http://rainbow.ht.st/hardware/hotflash.html.

I don't know why the ADW733 flash did not warn of a .BIN file checksum error. Does anyone else have any ideas ?

I have unpacked and checked the zip file I sent and this appears to be OK. If you want to check it yourself, find a copy of the DOS utility MODBIN.EXE on the net and run it in the same directory as the NEWBIOS.BIN file. Confirm you can load the NEWBIOS.BIN without error and then ESC to exit.
8) Hi nicks

Thanks for the guide, urls, etc. I hot-swapped the bios and flash using uniflash and now my machine is working perfectly.

Thanks a million, ahh.. :wink: two millions

Thangpao
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Well done with the hot swap ! Thankyou for the feedback, and I'm sorry about the bad file.
svs

The same Board and the same problem...
Please help!

mailto:svs198@hotmail.ru
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

It will be in the e-mail soon.