40B: 10/15/1997-i430VX-02271997C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
SmoothD
New visitors - please read the rules.

40 GB IBM Deskstar Award BIOS 10/15/1997 i430VX-02271997C-00
PC CHips M535 Motherboard

Award BIOS v4.51PG
IBM Deskstar P/N 07N8450 Manufactured 19 May 2002
Model IC35L040AVVN07-0 Running at 7200 RPM

If I could get a decent and workable BIOS update to recognize this HD, I would greatly appreciate it.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

You can get a patched BIOS for it, with large HDD support, from http://http://wims.rainbow-software.org
SmoothD

The one from http://wims.rainbow-software.org is the one I already have. It still does not work. Any other suggestions???? I sure would like to know of a better one. Thanks anyway!!!!
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Wait. You're saying it's the one you already have after comparing the BIOS ID strings, or have you actually flashed the version at host.sk? The strings are the same, but the one at host.sk has been patched.

Also, what problem are you experiencing? The HDD isn't recognized at all, or is only part of it recognized (typically 32GB)? If it's the latter, then check if the 32GB clip is still on.
SmoothD

AJ, I made a mistake. The one I previously loaded was 52x1016S.BIN.
I downloaded the one you gave me and it was different. It was the 5201016S.BIN. This one worked.
However, now as before I purchased the new HD, I get 2 different messages when I try to boot from the floppy.
DISK BOOT FAILURE and Disk I/O Error. Both are no brainers at this point because it is a new FD and the cable is good. It will recognize the A: drive and it's contents when I boot from a HD that has DOS loaded only and let me do the BIOS Upgrade and view the Dir on A:
I tried from 2 different floppies with Win98 startup and a Win95 Startup. I'm very puzzled. In the BIOS it now has CDROM and SCSI as boot options and I am using an 80 pin IDE but nothing helps. Won't even boot from CD even though command line is there. Nor from A or C.
In all honesty I don't know about a 32 GB clip. There is an additional jumper for a 2GB buffer space on the HD though if I am correct. Just checked and there is a space for a 2GB clip but is not jumpered.
It appears I may have to buy a new motherboard and be done with this one. Any other suggestions would be EXTREMELY helpful at this point. Thanks so much for all you and Dennis have done pointing me in the right direction.
SmoothD
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Have you tried clearing CMOS? Are you sure you had an "S" BIOS and not an "L" BIOS? This can be verified in the http://go.to/th2 FAQ.
SmoothD

Yes AJ, I tried clearing the CMOS before I did the 2 flashes, but I can always clear it again. BTW, it was a 2MB buffer and not a 2GB one. I did not see a 32GB clip when I looked again.
I'm more than positive it was a Small BIOS flash and not the Large, although I have both. I will check the URL you sent and keep you posted.
Thanks for your patience!!!!!!
SmoothD :?
SmoothD

Hi AJ. Cleared the CMOS and tried different boot options, still no luck. Every time it still gives me the BOOT DISK FAILURE and Disk I/O error, replace the disk and press enter when ready. What now?
SmoothD :?:
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I apologise for asking the obvious, but you did check the floppy type is correctly set after the CMOS clear (1.44)?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
SmoothD

AJ, Nick. Thanks for all your help on this one. Sorry to drive you into perhaps thinking how could this be but bear with me a moment.

Nick, the obvious was what it was. My Windows 98 Startup Disks were *$)@%(@&+*& beyond repair. I was caught in a paradigm and thought there is no way both my Win98s and Win95 Startup Disks were corrupted. I was in such denial that I refused to believe they could be bad. This had never happened to me before or if it has it has been so long I forgot what it was like. :roll: But as I never let a PC get the best of me I decided to look at them on another machine and sure enough they would not even open up. Needless to say, created another and presto!!!!!! :idea:

Either I need more sleep, pay attention to what the machine is telling me and BELIEVE it, and quit taking stupid pills !!!!! LOL :? I feel like such an idiot and should. LOL
Thanks so much AJ for all your help!!! You were fantastic. And thank you Nick.

I will definitely recommend this site to others!

Reagrds,
SmoothD