PM in BIOS vs. Windows - How does it work?

APM/ACPI BIOS questions
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Not really a problem per se, but more a *how does it work?*.

I was wondering how the BIOS Power Management settings work in conjunction with the Win98SE Control Panel function.

The AWARD BIOS (in my case) has many settings within it in order to set the various functions, including Video Off method, HD shutdown, CPU Shutdown, and Power Down/Wake-up Events. The Win98SE Control Panel shows only Monitor Off, HD Off, and Standby/Suspend.

I would assume if there is no Windows function available, the BIOS would take over at the settings you provide and supply all Power Management Function through itself.

Now we add the Windows Control Panel feature...

My question is, how does one set both to make sure things work correctly? I would assume if there is a time function, both should be set to the same time (ie: don't set BIOS HD Shutdown to 15 mins and Control Panel to either 5 or 30 mins). What would happen if you didn't...who takes control? For the CPU, I have Doze, Standby and Suspend...how does that equate to the Control Panel function which only says System Standby (is that Doze, Standby, or Suspend??)

Any help here, or a place to find out how this all works, would be great.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by KachiWachi on Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soupy
Absentee administrator

I have power management enabled in the BIOS, but all the options there disabled (ie: standby, spindown, what have you.)

I control all PM features from within Windows.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Gee...I forgot that one.

What happens if the BIOS PM is enabled but all settings disabled, does Windows PM take over?

And what if the BIOS PM is setup and Windows PM is set to disabled, who takes over?

As far as CPU stepdown goes, Windows only has one step (Standby) where the BIOS has 3 (Doze, Standby, Suspend). Are the terms the same, or does Windows Standby mean Suspend?

Thanks for your input soupy. Others now...???
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Just bringing this back up again for other input, as the original question was not fully answered...

More thoughts?