Desperately need help! can someone be kind enough to help me

APM/ACPI BIOS questions
StripHouseBandit
New visitors - please read the rules.

i've been working on this project to make my own arcade machine, i've managed to weed out most of the bugs in it. now i asked someone if there was a way that i can turn my computer on by flipping a switch on a power surge protector, (or a custom switch i'm building) he told me something about 'bios options' i never heard of bios, but he gave me a simple beginner's FAQ to follow (tomshardware.com) it doesn't seem that complicated for what im trying to do. but when i go to the ADVANCED tab on my bios option thing, i dont see any kind of option for "advanced bios features" so i can go under my power management settings, infact it looks like i'm pretty limited in the bios menu, i only have the following options under my advanced tab

Boot Configuaration
-reset config data
-numlock on

Periph Configuaration

IDE Configuaration

event log configuaration

video configuaration

********** the computer i've been looking on is a Windows 98SE, i was just using this computer for practice, when i became familiar with the menu's i've checked under the options of my primary computer which is a windows XP; (gateway e-4000) and i saw more options, but not much of anything to actually customize the power settings. (yes ive checked under the Boot tab, along with the rest of the tabs) am i missing a step or not doing something right?, do i just not have those options in my bios? is there a way where i can some how unlock those? i was planning on buying a new computer for the project im doing, any suggestions on what computer might have these settings?, i'm sure after a little studying from helpful people i could be a BIOS Guru, but right now im only interested in turning my computer off and on by disrupting the circuit using some sort of switch, like one you would find on a power surge protector, can someone PLEASE HELP?!, im absolutely desperate here. i've talked to some computer technicians that sell computers for a living ,and some didnt even know that this power option was possible. thanks :)
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

You can derivate a line from the two wires that go to the power on button. This new line, composed by 2 wires is linked in parallel mode on the original line. So you will replicate the power button on a new button.

There isn't any BIOS settings that permit this, you must create the appropriate circuit.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Some people strip front panel wires of old cases before tossing them. Then you might have the appropriate wire and button handy when one is required.
T0SH

Check under Power Management for a heading like "State After Power Failure" or similar if this option is available and turned on when power is restored (switched on) the machine will boot up

Cheers HC
indianoutlaw187

That is correct. Look for that BIOS option. I know that Intel chipsets support this feature (since like 1999) and it is up to the BIOS vendor ro implement it. What is the chipset you are using? Motherboard?