How do i update bios to ACPI 2.0 to be compliant with Vista?

APM/ACPI BIOS questions
gramarye
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,
Does anyone here own an intel 850e chipset motherboard or know of any BIOS updates to be compatible with vista?

I get the message when installing Vista on my new motherboard:

"This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACPI. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or install Windows on an ACPI-compliant computer."

How do i fix this ACPI compliant message?

Thanks for your time.

Motherboard: Intel D850EMVRL Desktop Board
Chipset: Intel 850e

My system is my first build. (The system I successfully installed it on before was a Dell Dimension 8100)

Intel 2.8 GHz Northwood Processor (533, 512, L2)
Intel D850EMVRL Desktop Board (ATX, 400/533)
1 Gb Rambus RDRAM memory [PC-800-40ns, looking for more out there]
Samsung Litescribe DVD/CD Burner Combo
Western Digital Hard Drive
Seagate Hard Drive
Current OS: Windows XP Pro SP2

Dell Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse (will be changed soon)
Antec 400w SmartPower Supply
Antec p180b Case
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/
-> For a retail intel motherboard only, if it's a Dell version you have to rely on Dell Bios
gramarye

which one should i choose? There's P25 and P23, my motherbaord is D850EMVRL. SO does this mean my motherboard is ACPI-compliant with Vista? Thanks for your reply.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

With a 2003 Bios it might not be fully Vista-compatible. Does Visata have an option to force a non-ACPI installation ?

For the Bios, Intel states "For use with the MVR SKU only. Identified by boards with AA#s ending in -6xx or higher." The AA-number should be located on a sticker somewhere on your mainboard, it's something like a revision number.

Again my warning, if your board is a Dell-version of the D850EMVRL you have to use Dell Bios or flashing might fail.
gramarye

What was interesting, was the fact that Vista was able to install on my D850GB motherboard, an older model. I went to test that out just to see if it's really the motherboard that doesn't work. When I used to "Test My Hardware" prior to installation, it noted ACPI 1.0, when the other motherboard, D850EMVRL, had an error when trying to identify it. On both manuals, it stated that it acquired ACPI - Version 2.0, July 2001, which, this board was manufactured after that. Now i'm trying to still figure out why the other motherboard still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure D850GB was built before D850EMVRL, meaning D850EMVRL would be more recent. This assumes that if the D850GB works, so should the D850EMVRL as well.

(let me know if this post was confusing)

D850EMVRL mobo, please work! < i purchased a 2.8 GHz Northwood 533FSB processor prior to installing vista, It's been about a month, I still can't try it out.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

You still did not give an answer to the question if this a retail board or not.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
gramarye

edwin wrote:You still did not give an answer to the question if this a retail board or not.
Yes it is a retail board? what would make not?
dgatsos

Had similar issue. Discovered that ACPI was disabled in BIOS. Once I enabled it, it fixed the issue. Check your BIOS settings for ACPI.