Shut Down/Power On

APM/ACPI BIOS questions
pappe28
New visitors - please read the rules.

I recently had a "computer guy" re-partition my 10GB hard drive from 5 drives to a single drive.

To do this, he changed my BIOS.

Now when I Shut Down, the CPU goes Off.

I don't want this to happen, since I have my CPU, printer, scanner, monitor, etc. all hooked up to a single power source with an on/off switch for all units.

I went to BIOS setup and under Power Management could not find a way to Shut Down the CPU and keep the Power On. This was available on my old BIOS.

So, what BIOS should I ask the "computer guy" to install so that I can have this Shut Down/Power On feature?

If he doesn't have the BIOS that you suggest, how can he identify a BIOS with this capability?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

pappe28 wrote: Now when I Shut Down, the CPU goes Off.

I don't want this to happen, since I have my CPU, printer, scanner, monitor, etc. all hooked up to a single power source with an on/off switch for all units.

I went to BIOS setup and under Power Management could not find a way to Shut Down the CPU and keep the Power On. This was available on my old BIOS.

So, what BIOS should I ask the "computer guy" to install so that I can have this Shut Down/Power On feature?

If he doesn't have the BIOS that you suggest, how can he identify a BIOS with this capability?
I think you need the power button to be set to put the system into standby on a single touch of the power button, and only to power off when the button is held for 4 seconds. It sounds like "instant off" is how it is set up now, and I would be very surprised if there isn't a setting which allows you to change this..

We can't give you advice on which BIOS to use if we don't know what your machine and current BIOS are.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
th
Legacy means reliability

I can't get the point here, sorry.
What is the difference between the software shutdown of the PC plus flipping the switch and only flipping the switch?
All is off, both ways....

The only difference I see is, that the PC won't power on again, without an extra push at the button....
Check for an option in the Bios, usually section "Power Management", which does handle the behaviour after a "Power Loss" or a "Power Restore".
There are options like "Last State", "Stay Off" and "On".
YMMV

Bye
Thomas
286-16/NEAT Chipset/4 MB Mem/40 MB HDD/512kB Tridet/WfW
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I can't get the point here, sorry.
What is the difference between the software shutdown of the PC plus flipping the switch and only flipping the switch?
Hmm, three different ways to look at power if we're talking about ATX and I think that I chose the wrong one. (I assume we're talking about ATX because he talks about leaving the CPU on when he shuts down).

1: Start menu Shut Down.

2: ATX front panel "(green) power button" which may be configurable so that a short touch will put it into standby (contents of RAM stay in RAM), hibernate (contents of RAM dumped to hiberfil.sys for quick restart), or power-off (proper shutdown).

3: Wall switch (or additional switch on back of PSU - rare) - as required when you're changing hardware on an ATX machine.

Re-reading pappe28's post, I'm not clear what his original BIOS let him do - it could have been a BIOS-level hibernate facility ( some systems had them, even years ago).

Pappe28 - give us more detail !
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Or the shutdown ended in "It's now safe to turn off your computer" screen - like with AT power supply. Then it was because power management was disabled or not properly supported by the old BIOS.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
pappe28

RAINBOW:

Yes, the "old" message I received was: "It's now safe to turn off your computer" screen. And the computer stayed "ON' until I hit the switch that turned everything off.

How can I go back to the "old way" with my new BIOS?

pappe28@aol.com
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Disable power management completely in your bios.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
pappe28

EDWIN:

Did that. It didn't help.

Something else?

pappe28@aol.com
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Disable it completely, as Edwin suggested, and THEN force a "Detect New Hardware" in Windows.
pappe28

Edwin and AJZChips:

I disabled BIOS Power and went to Detect New Hardware.

Result: Screen colors all messed up and the Power of the CPU still went off when I Shut Down.

Fortunately, I had made a tape backup of my C drive two days ago, so I restored everything to its previous condition - rather than trying to work on the screen colors, since the Shut Down/CPU Power Off problem still persisted.

I am now taking a simplistic approach to the problem: When I Shut Down, the CPU shuts off. I then switch everything else off and then hit the Power button on the CPU. Then when I turn on my central power switch, the CPU and everything else goes on.

I still am hoping that someone can tell me what BIOS I should have so that I can return to my old condition of Shut Down/the screen says "Its now safe to turn off the computer"/and then I hit my central power switch.

"Oh For The Good Old Days"

pappe28@aol.com