Search found 8 matches

by quarryman
Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:07 am
Forum: My motherboard is dead
Topic: powers up. no boot. no POST. dead mobo?
Replies: 13
Views: 6750

Nobody knows or can help with this?!!
by quarryman
Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:27 am

Yes it does ask for a floppy and i made one of these disks. This was the contents of the disk: release.txt 10k XPST_A11.exe 421k When i try to run the XPST_A11.exe it throws up the DOS Command screen for a second and then nothing. So its trying to perform the action that it would run at boot up. How...
by quarryman
Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:06 am

Dell make a lot of P.C's yet you managed to guess my model exactly! Its a Dell XPS T500. the number is AA 722394-112. I got onto the Dell site and downloaded a utiity that made some sort of boot disk. Set the mobo jumper to Recovery and booted up. After a minute floppy disk was read but then the com...
by quarryman
Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:59 pm

that's great. yeah i do have an intel motherboard. Now i just need to figure out which bios i need. i found the intel site with the bios downloads but can't figure out which i should get. Can you tell me where to look on the board for the chip/bios number? tia. ps can you tell me what the file exten...
by quarryman
Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:51 pm

ok i may have made some progress. I removed the battery and the power for about 15 mins. I also located som jumper settings. there was three pins. Options 1-2 2-3 none - recovery so i removed the pin connector altogether. I powered up and the motherboard gave a short beep and then after a few second...
by quarryman
Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:00 pm

disconnected everything and put it together again. no joy. how exactly do i clear the CMOS? Remind me what it does again. Not sure where my BIOS chip is located, so not sure if its removable. Gonna have a look now. By the way, i removed the battery for a while to see if that works, does that clear t...
by quarryman
Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:31 pm

powers up. no boot. no POST. dead mobo?

Computer won't boot up. Got a bit of a problem. I spent the afternoon deleting and formatting two hard drives and preparing a dual boot. One drive with Linux and one with WinXp. Both drives had Linux before I started this. I used a boot disk and got the DOS prompt and went to Fdisk. This allowed me ...