128 dimm sdram pc133 question

Is your memory not fully recognized? (Intel VX chipset Memory recognition)
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

Hello all
This is my bios info:
BIOS Manufacturer : Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID 08/14/97-i430VX-ITE8680-2A59GV3EC-00
BIOS Date : 08/14/97
BIOS OEM Signon : BIOS-I (70814B)
BIOS ROM Size : 128K
Chipset : Intel Triton 430VX rev 2
Super I/O Chip : ITE 8679 or 8680 found at port 279h
i installed a 128 dimm stick and it only recognizes 32 mb out of 128.the stick is single sided and i am curious if this will work with this MB and bios cfg.I am also planing to do an update for the bios to recognize my 20gb hard is there an update for the bios to see such a dimm .
Thank you
Alex.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

i430VX will only recognize 16Mb technology, so 16-chip, 32MB DIMM is the largest you can use per slot.

Better choice is to get 4 32MB SIMMS and max the thing out at 128MB.

Moderators can patch your BIOS for the HD, if it hasn't been patched already, or if a mfgr. update doesn't exist.

Edit - I see they have already patched the BIOS in your other post...Hope it works out for you!!
blo
New visitors - please read the rules.

What's the maximum amount of chips on each simm module - and can chips be on both sides of the module.
Many thanks. Blo.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

On a SIMM, because of their physical size, there are usually 8 physical chip positions on one physical side of the module.

Since a DIMM is physically bigger, more chips can be placed on it's surface, but electrically, they can be wired many ways, so physical presence on one side or the other doesn't always mean much.

Usually DIMMS come with higher density chips, so there are less physical parts installed...this is what confuses alot of people...and computers too ;-). Some SIMMS can come this way as well, but in this day and age, SIMMS are pretty much obsolete.

The reason I say physical chip positions is because the chips themselves can be "stacked" one on top of the other for increased capacity, though I've never seen one done like this.

A good explanation about all this can be found here at The PCGuide - System Memory.