Old Gateway P5-120

Is your memory not fully recognized? (Intel VX chipset Memory recognition)
amptron2x
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an old P5-120 with a Pentium 120 MHz CPU, a Selectron motherboard (MBDSAC045AAWW), and an Intel Triton 430 FX chip set running under the AMI 1.00.03.CN0T Bios. I am trying to upgrade the
memory on this machine from 64 Meg to 128 Meg. But when I install the
new memory, 4x32 Meg 60ns EDO SIMMs (which I tested on my other computer), the system sees only 64 Meg and malfunctions. Gateway's on-line documentation for this machine says that it can accept up to 128 Megs of memory and that it will recognize the additional memory automatically, without my changing jumpers or reconfiguring the BIOS. Needless to say, it doesn't.

Is there something I can do to get the machine to recognize the new memory? Or is it limited to 64 Meg by the BIOS?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

How many chips on each SIMM ?
amptron2x

Hi Nick,

There are 4 chips on each SIMM, all on one side.

Amptron
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Any chance of swapping them for SIMMS with 16 chips ? The Intel documents on the i430FX chipset are no longer available and I can't find anything definitive on the chip technology they will support, but 64Mbit DRAM technology (32 Mbytes in 4 chips) could be more than it (or the motherboard) will cope with. I know for certain that some Intel based boards (e.g ICL Ergo X) will only take 32Mbyte SIMMs if they are 8 chips/side.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I'd bet NickS is correct.

There are some "chipset guides" out there that say 16Mbit technology, but again, nothing beats the manufacturers data sheets. I'd guess the same thing, since the FX was out around the same time as the VX, which supports 16Mbit.

Just had the opportunity to test this with a SimpleTech 64MB SIMM which wouldn't post in a VX board. If I remember, it had 4 chips per module as well. The board in question has 4 sockets, but one of them is damaged slightly, so we wanted to avoid using it. I was pretty sure it wouldn't work, but my IT guy said "let's try it..." :)
amptron2x

First, I want to thank the people that replied to my query. They started my search for the answer in the right direction.

Anyway, the solution: The board on the P5-120 only accepts RAM with 2K refresh rates. The RAM I had origionally bought had a 4K refresh rate and, not suprisingly, did not work. Once I put 128 Megs with the 2K refresh rate into the MB, everything worked fine.

Bottom line - if you have an older board and you put in new memory and it doesn't work, try putting in memory with a 2K refresh rate. Good chance it will solve your problem.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Still the same amount of chips per stick??
(That would be 4 from your earlier post...)
amptron2x

16 chips per stick, 8 on each side.