problem with ram/bios: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Is your memory not fully recognized? (Intel VX chipset Memory recognition)
Faint
New visitors - please read the rules.

i dont know if its the bios but this is the first step im going to try .. i know the risks. i had a 256 mb ram card. i buy a 512 mb ram. put both of them in. (i only have 2 ram slots). first 1 is 256 .. second 1 is 512 . i check my computer and it onl says 512 mb ram detected.. O_O .. the 256 is in the same slot it was before i got the 512 mb ram. i need a bios update and i been looking but havent found. please help me . here are my computer specs for bios..:

Program: eSupport BIOS Agent Versionb 3.54

BIOS TYPE: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
BIOS DATE: 07/22/04
BIOS ID: 07/22/2004-SiS-741-6A7I8FK9C-00
OEM Sign IN: WinFast K7S741M Series 426XP215 072204
Super I/O: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 found at port 2Eh
Chipset: SiS 741 rev 3
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP
Type: 1800 Mhz (It Suppose To Be 2200+ .. i dont know whys 1800..)
MAX SPEED: Unknown

BIOS ROM:
In Socket: Yes
Size: 256K

Memory: 1536 MB (Is This MB RAM? cause i only got 512 ram and 256..)
maximum: Unknown

advanced options:
memory installed slot 1: 512 mb
memory installed slot 2: 1024 mb
slot 3 , slot 4: 0 mb
total: 1536 mb .. same question as above..
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

2200+ is just a rating, not the actual MHz, 1800 is the actual MHz. Sounds silly but that's why.

It is showing double the amount it should somehow. Now I don't know what happens if you only fit the new one in there?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Faint

for some strange reason i just flashed my bios with some the closest bios update to my model.. not exactly the same model # but close enough.. but im using the mobo's bios update utility.. its called superutility.. now when i updated it it stops at 87%.. so i cut the power and power it back.. then it detects the 768 mb ram.. then i updated it back to my previous backup and now even that i backed it up.. it still detects it lolz.. i dont know if theres gonna be side effects.. but so far problem solved =).
Faint

i just got a BSOD .. (Blue Screen Of Death) .. i cant even type correctly.. i need a bios update quick..
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Use only a Bios designed for your board unless you want to have a damaged board/computer.

Please test your system with only the 512MB stick - either it is damaged somehow or the Bios is buggy or the memory controller does not like the combination of your 512MB and your 256MB stick.
KURIAKI

Faint wrote:i just got a BSOD .. (Blue Screen Of Death) .. i cant even type correctly.. i need a bios update quick..
Foxconn WinFast K7S741GXMG-6L or K7S741MG-6L
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/service/D ... 741GXMG-6L
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
Faint

this is wat it said:

i tried it with the bios updater my motherboard brought.. but it stops at 87% and it freezes doing nothing..
Denniss
BIOS Guru

You HAVE to use a windows flashprog or you HAVE to use a Floppy disk to update your Bios. Otherwise (Windoze DOS box) you have a very high chance to corrupt or kill your Bios!
KURIAKI

How to flash Foxconn BIOS using a DOS boot diskette?

Follow these steps:
1. Create a bootable diskette. Please go to www.bootdisk.com and download drdflash.exe file.
You can save this file to My Document folder. When download is completed, insert a blank diskette
into the floppy drive, go back to My Document folder, and double-click on DRDFLASH.EXE to create a
bootable diskette. Leave the diskette in the drive.
2. Go to www.foxconnchannel.com and navigate to your motherboard via Services/Downloads. Use the
navigation bar on the left side to navigate to your motherboard. Click the blue link for the BIOS
in the Search Results field. On the resulting screen click the Download button. Save it to your A
drive. When done, back up to the downloads menu for your motherboard and select the Flash Utility.
On the resulting screen click the Download button. Save it to your A drive. Leave the diskette in
the drive.
3. Shutdown and reboot your machine. Press DEL key at the Foxconn's logo or at the "Press TAB to
show POST screen, DEL to enter SETUP" message. At the main BIOS menu, select Advanced BIOS Feature,
press ENTER key. Set "First Boot Device" to "Floppy". Then press F10 key and Y, ENTER key to save the
BIOS settings. Leave the floppy in the drive and let it boots to the A:\>
4. From A:\> type DIR to list all the files and then type in AWDFLASH XXXXXXX.BIN or AFU836 XXXXXXX.BIN
and then press the ENTER key. The XXXXXXX.BIN is the file name of the BIOS file you downloaded. Enter
from the directory listing.
5. The AwardBIOS Flash Utility screen will appear and prompt you to save your current BIOS. Press Y to
save the current BIOS. Name it OLD and press ENTER key. Your system will back up your current BIOS to
your're A drive under the OLD.BIN file name.
6. When done saving the current BIOS, press Y to update the BIOS.
7. When prompted to do so, remove the floppy diskette and then press F1 to reset your system. Note the
new BIOS number on the initial boot up screen.
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
Faint

lets see if this works lolz ill post feed back.. also the award bios thing i did it in debugging mode ..
Faint

i read the bios thing yesterday but i didnt pay attention so i didnt try it.. but now i did.. thanks it worked like perfect lolz.. i flashed it in less then 10 seconds.. thats like 1000000000000x faster then when i tried to flash it yesterday.. ty.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Is the memory working correctly now?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...