Twinmos PC3200 (CL3) timings settings

Is your memory not fully recognized? (Intel VX chipset Memory recognition)
U2foreverU2
New visitors - please read the rules.

I just bought (and installed) 2 x 1024MB Twinmos PC3200 DDR-DIMM modules (working in Dual).
I don't want to overclock !!!!!!! Just want the right timings......

Programs like Sisoft Sandra and CPU-Z says settings for my modules:
3-4-4-8.

Can anyone tell me if those are correct or that I better manually change the settings in Bios with other values.
On site of Twinmos I couldn't find the right timings for these modules (or maybe I didn't look well !??).

I found timings like 2,5-3-3-8 (but I think they are for are modules of Twinmos, maybe for the 256MB or 512MB modules ??)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice) - Socket 939 - 2 x 1024 MB TWINMOS PC3200 (CL3) DDR-DIMM - Motherboard Asus A8V Deluxe - Video Card Saphire Radeon 9250
cp
BIOS Guru

those values should be stored in the SPD memory (a small serial eeprom that sits on the RAM module). Twinmos is surely not a noname manufacturer, so i would trust those values in the first place. just make sure that memory timing in the BIOS is set to 'memory timings by SPD' or something alike.
U2foreverU2

When I have the time I will check them on the modules themselves.
Anyway.....in the bios I have seen that timings settings are set I think on AUTO.
CPU-Z I have checked under option SPD and there I have seen 3-4-4-8.

The only thing I have changed in BIOS is Command Rate on 1T (instead of the default 2T).
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice) - Socket 939 - 2 x 1024 MB TWINMOS PC3200 (CL3) DDR-DIMM - Motherboard Asus A8V Deluxe - Video Card Saphire Radeon 9250
cp
BIOS Guru

if the SPD says so i would say those are the correct settings. look, twinmos 'just' puts memory ICs on a stick they bought elsewhere (Samsung, Infineon, Winbond, Hynix just to name a few). the timings are predefined by those chips and there are many many different out there. TwinMOS surely produces different modules for the different target markets with different timings,price,warranty each.

if you still think that those timings are not the correct ones you could find out which chips they put on your modules and search for the datasheets of the chips.
U2foreverU2

Thx for yr explanation.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

If you want to overclock then you should first set your Command Rate back to 2T, it does not help much in performance but usually hinders a lot in overclocking. Especiyll if using the slowest grade PC-3200 with 3-4-4-8 Timings.
U2foreverU2

NO !!!
I really DON'T want to overclock !

But maybe I have some problems the same with memory or something else. I don't know.

My computer now and then (after a few hours and only with Firefox, Bittorent open for downloading and outlook and nothing else) restarts.
I disabled the option Restart Automatically and yesterday I had a BSOD.
Technical Information:
STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Is it maybe that combination motherboard Asus A8V Deluxe (rev. 1.0) and new memory sticks are not working fine with Command Rate 1T ?

Or maybe not working well with Cool 'n' Quiet which I had installed (correctly) 1 or 2 days ago ?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I have seen an article at Microsoft but that was for windows 2000 and required a hotfix on the kernel files. Are you running with all Service Packs and patches for your operating system?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
U2foreverU2

I have seen the same article I think and I noticed also that error was something for Windows 2000 !
I'm using Windows XP professional, service pack 2 (and most of the recent protection patches)

So what strange thing is this ?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... 57.xml.asp
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Set Command Rate back to 2T, if unstable again raise VDIMM to 2.7V (memory voltage)
U2foreverU2

Thx Dennis,
I think you have read my mind !
I have restored a functional backup (so Cool 'n' Quiet off, uninstalled Sandra Sisoft 2007 Lite SP1 because it showed to many error in Windows Event Viewer)
Then I loaded Default Bios Settings. So Command Rate is back to 2T, I disabled serial, parallel ports in Bios because I don't use them, enabled 32Bit data transfer for my harddisk in Bios (because default is disabled). Disabled "stupid" Speech report in Bios and changed AGP Graphic Aperture Size in 64MB. For the rest I left everything on default for the moment.

So now I first will try to work a little bit on my PC and see if it will stay stable.

If it stays stable I'm happy, but only a little bit disappointed maybe that maybe the unstability was caused by Command rate 1T (who knows ?).
I have seen fm test that 1T is giving better performance.

But for me.....who's using the PC mostly for Internet and Video (and some photo) Editing (I almost never play any games on PC) will suffer that much fm a little less memory performance ???

What do you think ?
Denniss wrote:Set Command Rate back to 2T, if unstable again raise VDIMM to 2.7V (memory voltage)
Denniss
BIOS Guru

1T Command rates gives a little more performance but usually high chances for additional instabilities.

If system is stable now then re-enable C&Q.
U2foreverU2

Fm ca. 17.00 untill now (24.00 hrs) I have "stressed" my PC a bit to see if it runs stable now.
So I opened:
3 windows of Firefox, Bittorrent and started downloading, Outlook, Cpu-Z, PC-Wizard 2006 (Diagnostic Program), Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus (=very heavy regarding memory usage !) and somewhere in the middle I also opened Mainconcept MPEG Encoder to encode a 700MB AVI into a MPEG-2 file. Doing that I use a lot of memory and the CPU is used 100% all the time.

CPU-Z and PC wizard gave me almost the same values DURING these operations:
Temperatures:
CPU : 44° C (CPU-Z and PC Wizard)
HD: 38°-39°C (PC Wizard)
Voltage : 1.44-1,45V
Freq: ca. 2203 MHz

In this moment temp (I'm not converting AVI file now) of CPU is ca 32° C

I think (but I'm not an expert) these values seems fine, or not ?

And most of all......my system didn't crashed !!
So for the moment it looks stable.

Now that I know (and also written it down) in which state my PC can run (hopefully for long ??) stable tomorrow I would also like to do the same tests with 1T on. Just because I'm curious (and want to be sure) if my Mobo really is very sticky with memory on 1T.
If it crash....then or I just accept it.....or I have to buy f.e. rev. 2.0 of A8V Deluxe instead of my rev. 1.0
I heard my revision not always work with all kind of memory modules etc.

After the test with 1T on (no matter if the result is negative or positive) I will also try to reinstall Cool 'n' Quiet again.
Although I have heard that also (maybe again with some of the Asus Mobo's A8V deluxe) CNQ sometimes create a crash.

But now I know (I really hope !) how I always can bring back my PC to a stable state (thx god there are programs like Acronis True Image and/or Norton Ghost to help us !)......I just will do those last 2 test (first 1T again without CNQ and then CNQ on).

I will keep you informed about the results

Denniss wrote:1T Command rates gives a little more performance but usually high chances for additional instabilities.

If system is stable now then re-enable C&Q.
cp
BIOS Guru

1T vs. 2T Command Rate

"..there seems to be about a 2-3% performance hit when running 2T."
so if your system really gets unstable due to running 1T command rate you're not missing out anything. there is an interesting article on tight timings vs. high clock frequencies. if you want some more speed i would increase the clock frequency because all those timings can be really confusing at first. then stress test the new settings with memtest. but that would be overclocking anyways ;)