Yet another 256MB DIMM halved to 128MB...

Is your memory not fully recognized? (Intel VX chipset Memory recognition)
operator
New visitors - please read the rules.

Greetings and Salutations, All;

I have a Napoli2 motherboard that's been happily running 256MB RAM for the past year (two 128MB DIMMS). The motherboard and chip (P3 600 Coppermine) are all that's left of an eMonster 600.

After a visit to e4all.info, I flashed my BIOS and (successfully) upgraded to version 1.13. I also read there that this board will take 512MB RAM, so...

After installing two 256MB DIMMS (PNY, PC133 SDRAM, etc.) both of them are recognized, but both are also reading at half their capacity (i.e. 128MB) from the BIOS and the WIN98SE System Properties. The machine boots, runs fine; benchmarking reveals that both DIMMS are seen as 256MB, but have a ".5x reduction".

I read the post below about older chipsets needing double-sided DIMMS...is this one of those cases, or is there just something I'm not doing in the CMOS? e4all.info lists several cases of people using PNY RAM to get an old eMonster to 512MB...must be missing something.

Thanks for your time and attention...
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

http://www.e4all.info/motherboards/napo ... _users.htm towards the bottom. Basically, the answer to your question is yes, you need double-sided, but take a look at the site anyway if you have an E-machines based thing.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
operator
New visitors - please read the rules.

Swapped single- for double-sided, and all's well.

Thanks for the assist.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

operator wrote:After a visit to e4all.info..... e4all.info lists several cases....
You'd already been to the site... I really should read these things more carefully, even that late at night (no siesta in UK, I hear Madrid doesn't get started until 10 PM, eh, ajzchips?). Glad it worked out.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Siesta? People over here don't even remember the word.
In fact, it's practically outside of Spain where the "siesta" is actually part of people's tradition, believe me.
...we only invented the word...