Search found 19 matches

by rjenkins
Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:59 pm
Forum: BIOS Utilities & Flash Programs
Topic: Help please flashing IBM / Gigabyte board
Replies: 26
Views: 37113

That sounds promising! As your BIOS can be written at least, you may be able to overwrite is with the Gigabyte version? I don't know which flash tool you need, possibly Uniflash on a Dos floppy or possibly rename the gigabyte file to the same as the IBM one & copy it to disk over the IBM file. On th...
by rjenkins
Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:24 am

Hi all, thanks for the info! Kuriaki - I've just double checked the flash util supplied with the f9g in case I'd got mixed up, but it is the AMI one.. I've grabbed the F8 version with the correct flasher(!) and will try this over the weekend. The board is chucked on the side at the moment, out of th...
by rjenkins
Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:11 am

Hi, noone got any ideas at all? This board is scrap if I can't update it, so I will consider anything... I've tried cutting the PCB trace to the write protect pin on the N82802. This came from somewhere else than the write protect jumper, so other protection logic somewhere in the chipset seemed lik...
by rjenkins
Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:37 pm
Forum: Notebook BIOS and other problems
Topic: NEC Versa 6230
Replies: 1
Views: 2804

You may need to dismantle it and check everything is in place. I've seen similar symptoms three or for times with different makes, where a module or connector has come adrift. In one case the whole CPU carrier board had dropped out, in another the display interface board was half out of it's connect...
by rjenkins
Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:05 pm
Forum: My motherboard is dead
Topic: "Scanning BIOS image in hard drive" HELP!!!
Replies: 6
Views: 18338

Sorry, in a hurry earlier & did'nt have time to do a full post. According to the Gigabyte docs, if the BIOS is corrupted it will try to auto-restore from a hidden image on the hard drive, and this is what's causing the message. Make sure the original hard drive is set up the same as it was when the ...
by rjenkins
Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:50 pm
Topic: Dead Gigabyte 8IPE1000 (BootBlock)
Replies: 15
Views: 16696

Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush when I made the last posting. The key bit (if it is the 'Xpress' thing) is that it's trying to recover an image it's saved itself , from the Hard Drive. It looks from the docs that it saves it in the dead space after the boot sector or something like that, it's not a ...
by rjenkins
Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:27 pm

Just found this on the Gigabyte site: Xpress Bios Rescue – Auto recovers damaged BIOS to its original state! BIOS Image is stored in your HDD hidden area automatically when system boots up. Bios image is Indestructible by any software or viruses http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Technolog...
by rjenkins
Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:30 am
Topic: "Scanning BIOS image in hard drive" HELP!!!
Replies: 6
Views: 18338

Just found this on the Gigabyte site: Xpress Bios Rescue – Auto recovers damaged BIOS to its original state! BIOS Image is stored in your HDD hidden area automatically when system boots up. Bios image is Indestructible by any software or viruses http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Technolog...
by rjenkins
Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:49 pm

The only Gigabyte board I've ever had a problem with is one I have that was rebranded by IBM and has their oddball BIOS in it.. Not even IBMs own BIOS updates will work with the ^$%£ thing! Other than that, Gigabyte give me less problems than any other make & I use them whenever I can. -------- At l...
by rjenkins
Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:43 am

It sounds like it is trying to auto-reflash the BIOS. Can you try just the correct Gigabyte BIOS binary file on an otherwise empty CD or floppy? The floppy may not be doing anything if it can detect there is not a disk in it. It does not need to be bootable & it does'nt need the flash program. The f...
by rjenkins
Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:11 pm
Forum: My hard drive isn't recognized
Topic: This aptiva will live again!!!
Replies: 4
Views: 4051

As far as I can remember, the Grub boot restriction is: Either- The whole of the / (root) partition must be within the first 1024 Cylinders of the drive, or- You must create a /boot partition as the first partition on the drive. The size needed could be anything from 32 - 128MB depending on the dist...
by rjenkins
Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:19 pm
Forum: Other BIOS update issues.
Topic: My computer Keeps freezing, could it be my bios?
Replies: 11
Views: 7027

As you have the three memory modules, you could test by just removing each in turn & booting with the other two in place.

If one dodgy module is causing the problem, it should run fine in one of the three combinations.
by rjenkins
Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:14 pm

I was shown the 'paper trick' by a DEC Engineer back in the PDP-8 days... The old DEC minis had sometimes literally hundreds of plug-in 'finger boards' and apparently that was the only reliable cleaning method that the engineers came up with which could be used repeatedly without stripping the gold ...
by rjenkins
Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:13 pm

Depending on what flash utility is supplied, typically you either add the name of the actual BIOS file with a space after the flash program, or it has a text box for you to enter the filename once it's running. Normally you must run it from a minimal DOS floppy boot disk without any other drivers at...
by rjenkins
Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:04 am
Forum: My hard drive isn't recognized
Topic: Compaq CMOS query
Replies: 3
Views: 3616

Try removing & re-seating the video card, if there is a separate one?

This sounds a bit like it's working through the initial BIOS level screen but failing once it starts trying to use any more advanced OS-level drivers.

Could just be something that's got disturbed while you were swapping the CPU.