Search found 16 matches

by Super-Slasher
Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:48 pm
Forum: What is my motherboard?
Topic: Nameless, numberless mobo seeking a BIOS boot disk...
Replies: 7
Views: 4476

edwin wrote:Can you forward that info to edwin@wimsbios.com for my collection? TIA.
What info inperticular do you mean?
by Super-Slasher
Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:55 pm
Forum: Other BIOS update issues.
Topic: Tyan S1467-01 - Rare Motherboard Seeks for Floppy on Startup
Replies: 1
Views: 2201

Tyan S1467-01 - Rare Motherboard Seeks for Floppy on Startup

As I discovered earlier (http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3313) I own a very rare motherboard produced by Tyan. The motherboard seeks for a floppy disk - I suspect a BIOS boot disk? - after I took out the Odin RTC, suspecting it was dead. Because I am still very green when it comes to ...
by Super-Slasher
Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:47 pm

I got in touch with a Tyan technical representative, and I was informed that the S1467 is a rare special release, with only a few hundred units being produced, mainly as demo machines for certain retailers, making my perticular motherboard a rare bird. Hopefully with the information I got on it (inc...
by Super-Slasher
Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:02 pm

Google for Tyan Titan S1467/8 Thank you so very much! I sorta figured it may have been a Tyan, but for some reason I can't find that perticular model number -anywhere- on the internet! I can find S1466 and S1468 alright, but no S1467. Weird. Plus I can't find any documentation on then, either, incl...
by Super-Slasher
Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:35 pm

Here's somemore information... Intel chipset numbers: PCIset SB82437FX-66 L5383234 SZ999 INTEL (M)(C) '94 PCIset SB82371FB L5371834 SZ997 INTEL (M)(C) '94 VIA chipset number: VT82C42N 9538CF TAIWAN 00000311 (C) (M) Mobo has following info silkscreened onto it: Made in Taiwan (located to left of PCI ...
by Super-Slasher
Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:53 pm
Forum: General BIOS Questions
Topic: Proper instillation procedure needed for new BIOS ROM chip.
Replies: 2
Views: 2727

Make sure the BIOS chip is the right way round before applying power. Don't worry about the RTC chip. Hmmmm, M560 - that has the VIA/Houston Tech/Dallas RTC with built-in battery. In that case I don't remember if the "CMOS clear" jumper has any effect. If the BIOS will boot all you can do is set de...
by Super-Slasher
Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:09 pm
Forum: General BIOS Questions
Topic: Proper instillation procedure needed for new BIOS ROM chip.
Replies: 2
Views: 2727

Proper instillation procedure needed for new BIOS ROM chip.

Hello. I am currently sending out my ROM chip to be reprogrammed after a bad flash, and I am wondering on the proper way to reinstall the chip once I get it back. My motherboard is a PcChips M560 v3.1. For instace, would I need to clear the CMOS with jumpers? Do I just push the chip in and "let's go...
by Super-Slasher
Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:35 am

Nameless, numberless mobo seeking a BIOS boot disk...

I doubt if it would be even possible to identify this board. But I shall describe it to you the best I can, giving all information that's on the board: Intel Pentium chipset Socket 7 AT form/power supply 3 PCI slots 4 ISA slots 4 SIMM slots Cache memory chip slot Award BIOS PCI/PNP 586 S/N: 02778463...
by Super-Slasher
Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:11 am
Forum: Other BIOS update issues.
Topic: Replaced BIOS chip in mobo, now freezes on startup...
Replies: 1
Views: 2226

Replaced BIOS chip in mobo, now freezes on startup...

Okay here's the deal: tried upgrading BIOS on my own, stupid bloke helping me didn't tell me I had to disable all USB deviced, upgrade failed, chip was useless. Brought it in to local repair shop who by some miracle happened to program ROM chips. Couldn't program my ROM chip, insteal programmed and ...
by Super-Slasher
Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:25 am
Forum: My motherboard is dead
Topic: Error during BIOS upgrade - uh-oh!
Replies: 5
Views: 3924

I think I may have an idea... just wondering if this would work:

I have another board whose BIOS is messed up, but it will still want to boot from a floppy. If I take that BIOS ROM chip and put it on my PC, would it still want to boot from the floppy, giving me the chance to restore the old BIOS?
by Super-Slasher
Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:58 pm

Just a couple of questions: Did you clear the CMOS after flashing ? A major BIOS change can cause a dead-looking board of you don't clear the CMOS. What flash utility did you use, and what messages did it give you ? What is your motherboard ? and what BIOS did you flash into it ? I tried flashing t...
by Super-Slasher
Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:39 pm

Error during BIOS upgrade - uh-oh!

To make a long story short an error occoured which fubared by BIOS upgrade (the first I've ever attempted). But the instructions I was following were very detailed: I made a copy of my old BIOS, just incase. I tried booting up with it but it won't read my floppy, even when I press CTRL & HOME. I hav...
by Super-Slasher
Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:04 pm
Topic: Resurrecting an i486 - BIOS needed?
Replies: 4
Views: 3179

NickS wrote:Have you got the IBM model number for the machine ?
2155-E32

It is a 1993 IBM i486SX 33Mhz.

I trying over the possibilaties of other problems, such as incorrect jumper settings on the mboard, damaged/incorrect IDE device/floppy cable. I'm going over everything with a fine-toothed comb.
by Super-Slasher
Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:57 pm

But what kind of a boot disk would I need? If I'm not seeing any sort of setup at startup, doesn't that mean it's lacking a BIOS?
by Super-Slasher
Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:20 am

Resurrecting an i486 - BIOS needed?

Okie lemme just open by saying I'm a total newbee at stuff like this. While I am very familliar with software, hardware and such, BIOS is an uncharted territory for me. I am eager to learn... Anyways, for education purposes, I decided to take an old 1993 IBM i486SX desktop I found at the dump and tu...