Updating nvraid.rom from Tyan MB to ASUS MB

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
nacho
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm hoping someone can tell me the magic to make the checksums work. I have an ASUS A8NE (nForce 4 Ultra chipset) motherboard. Asus said that right now they don't plan on updating their NVidia NVRAID support. I downloaded a bios for a Tyan nForce Ultra 4 MB and got the NvRaid 5.x bios out of it (from the 4.x bios in my board.) I used cbrom215 to extract it from the Tyan bios, and to replace it in the ASUS bios:

Code: Select all

cbrom215 2865v302.bin /pci extract
to get the nvraid.rom file out

cbrom215 a8ne1011.rom /pci release
to remove the Asus nvraid.rom file

cbrom215 a8ne1011.rom /pci nvraid.rom
to insert the new one. CBROM seemed to do what I wanted, until I tried to use AWDFLASH to install it, and it tells me I have an invalid BIOS file, and that it can't be flashed. It seems that Asus uses different CRC's than everyone else, from what I've read??

Anyway, can anyone tell me what I need to do to make the replacement actually work? Do I need to edit the files manually? If so, what do I need to do?

Thanks
nacho
maman
Master Flasher

to add BIOS component into ASUS BIOS, use acbrom. It's available in BNOBTC (Borg No. One's BIOS Tool Collection).
nacho

Is Borg Number One's home page http://www.dstyles.de/bios/en/main.html

If so, it doesn't have acbrom --- unless I'm totally looking in the wrong place.

Also, I downloaded a version of acbrom (not sure where I found it, probably just from a Google search,) but when I run it against A8NE1011.ROM, it tells me:

C:\tmp\asusbios\work8>acbrom A8NE1011.ROM /d
The Area Map is unknown.
Either not ASUS's BIOS or incorrect BIOS kernal.
A8NE1011.ROM Error.
whereas, with cbrom215 I can display and operate on the bios image, but I can't flash it since it complains that it isn't a valid Award BIOS.

Any more tips? I'm really stumped as to tools, and I haven't found enough documentation on the overall structure of the BIOS file to write them myself.
maman
Master Flasher

nacho wrote:Is Borg Number One's home page http://www.dstyles.de/bios/en/main.html

If so, it doesn't have acbrom --- unless I'm totally looking in the wrong place.
look at http://www.dstyles.de/bios/bnobtc-files ... sus-cbrom/
maman
Master Flasher

hmmm.., it seems to be the binary is ordinary Award BIOS version 6.0PG binary. That's why acbrom does't work. I've just played with it. Probably, you can try multiple version of "ordinary" cbrom to cope with it. And then open the modified binary with modbin 2.01, then change the BIOS string and save your changes. Hopefully, modbin 2.01 will fix the checksums and you'll come up with a working binary.

If you dare, you can try uniflash to flash the BIOS if AwardFlash keeps resisting to flash the BIOS.
nacho

That did it. First, finding a newer version of modbin helped a ton, none of the other versions would work -- so knowing the right place to download was the answer.

Thanks for your help, it helps _a lot_.

nacho