40GB hard drive with 2 Socket 7 mobos

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Freelancer
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have 2 ancient Pentium boxes currently gathering dust in my room, and have decided to put them to better use as fileservers with some old IDE 40GB drives I have (my current setup is pure SATA). Unfortunately, while both machines still boot, neither of them supports hard drives over 8GB in size.

Machine #1 has an Award BIOS (v4.51 PG) dated "08/14/97 S".
ID string: 08/14/97-VXPro+-USB-Ultr-2A5LDH09C-00
Chipset: VX Pro+

Machine #2 has an AMI BIOS dated "08/30/1997 S".
ID string: 51-0830-001437-00111111-071595-UT801X-001_10_UTRON-F
Chipset: VX Pro-II

Thanks to the great resources on this site, I have identified machine 1's mobo as a PC Chips M537DMA33 using the VIA Apollo VPX chipset. Machine 2 is more of a problem, however.

Machine 2's mobo looks exactly the same as this image, except it lacks the brown vertical slot at the bottom-right. So initially I thought it was a PC Chips M558, but then I looked at the AMI BIOS IDs here. The BIOS ID does not exactly match the ID for the M558; the majority of it is for the M558, but the end bit (after the "UT801X") matches the end of the M559's BIOS ID. So I'm a little confused... any help in conclusively identifying this mobo would be appreciated.

Finally, where can I find updated BIOSs for these mobos that support hard drives >= 40GB? I have tried the PC Chips website, but there is no mention of motherboards older than Socket 370 there.

Edit: I know that this is the wrong forum for asking for help for identifying motherboards, but my main aim is to get BIOS updates, not find out exactly which mobo I have.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

All PCCHIPS BIOSes for older boards:
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/pcchips/indexajz.html

There were several versions of the M558 and M559, so perhaps some of them included/removed certain components/features.
Freelancer

Thanks for the help ajz, I will try flashing both BIOSs tonight.
Freelancer

Well, the M558 is a no-go... tried booting it last night and it told me that the floppy disk controller had failed.

I had better luck with the M537DMA; using the BIOS from this page, the PC is now able to detect my 40GB harddrive. Unfortunately, while it detects the size correctly, it screws up the cylinders/heads/sectors configuration.

The drive's actual config is 16 383 cyls, 16 hds, 63 sects. If I use the "Auto-Detect IDE Devices" menu in the BIOS, the sectors are detected correctly but the BIOS thinks the drive has 1023 cylinders and 255 heads. If I go into "Standard CMOS Settings" and manually enter the C/H/S parameters, the drive's size is detected as 8 456 MB.

I don't understand very much about hard drives, but I am under the impression that the number of cylinders/heads/sectors must be correctly specified in order for the drive to work properly.

Any help regarding this issue would be appreciated!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

This is perfectly fine with the cylinders and heads - no problem. They need to be translated to get the full capacity.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Before flashing the M558, you should have read the text file indicating the proper version you had to flash.