1440 x 900 on Acer Aspire 3000 with SiS M7600GX chipset

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
zana
New visitors - please read the rules.

jardes69 wrote:I succesfully updated the Phoenix BIOS, with the SIS VBIOS version 2.49. My Acer Aspire 3000 (3003LM) now display native 1440 x 900 resolution on attached widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 920NW. :D

j.bulik@chbloom.com
So, Jardes, can you please post some more detailed instructions and a link to the VBIOS file?
Thanks,
jardes69

No problem, drop me an email, I will send instructions.
zana

jardes69 wrote:I succesfully updated the Phoenix BIOS, with the SIS VBIOS version 2.49. My Acer Aspire 3000 (3003LM) now display native 1440 x 900 resolution on attached widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 920NW. :D

j.bulik@chbloom.com

Thanks J. for the BIOS. Works perfectly!
YZ
Frapster

zana wrote:

j.bulik@chbloom.com

YZ
Jardes69 had an issue whereas his LCD did not work on his laptop. YZ, did you have the same issue before the bios flash? If it worked before the bios flash does it work now that you've flashed the bios?

If I am to understand correctly, the only way to get the laptop to display a higher resolution on the external port, is to install the hacked Phoenix Bios for the ASUS laptops? Is there any other benefits to this bios?

FYI: ASUS 3000 - Aspire 3004WLCi MB Bios ver 3A32
SiS M760GX Bios 2.27.g8
zana

Hi Frapster,

I had a broken laptop LCD and after updating the BIOS, the LCD stopped working at all, while my external LCD started working at full resolution. I know of no way to enable both LCDs and the full resolution is the only benefit of that update.

Cheers,
Frapster wrote:
zana wrote:

j.bulik@chbloom.com

YZ
Jardes69 had an issue whereas his LCD did not work on his laptop. YZ, did you have the same issue before the bios flash? If it worked before the bios flash does it work now that you've flashed the bios?

If I am to understand correctly, the only way to get the laptop to display a higher resolution on the external port, is to install the hacked Phoenix Bios for the ASUS laptops? Is there any other benefits to this bios?

FYI: ASUS 3000 - Aspire 3004WLCi MB Bios ver 3A32
SiS M760GX Bios 2.27.g8
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

The limitation of this way of patching is indeed that you can only use an external display. Please read the sticky post about this. It's there for a reason!
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Frapster

zana wrote:Hi Frapster,

I had a broken laptop LCD and after updating the BIOS, the LCD stopped working at all, while my external LCD started working at full resolution. I know of no way to enable both LCDs and the full resolution is the only benefit of that update.

Cheers,
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
Frapster

edwin wrote:The limitation of this way of patching is indeed that you can only use an external display. Please read the sticky post about this. It's there for a reason!
Thanks for your reply as well. I just wanted to let you know that I did read the sticky, and the entire post here. I seen that it was custom made ROM and didn't know if the same effects would apply, whereas my post with my questions.
Rightman707

Hello.

Interesting thread.

I've been in the same situation and went along and downloaded the files necessary to do this. Trouble is I don't know how to mod zl53a32.wph using phoenix editor 2.2 (in order to replace the old vbios [2.27g] with the new vbios bin (330_249.bin)).

There's something called display0.rom which can't be accessed or edited.

So, is it possible that someone can explain here how to do it, or better still, offer the modded bios file?
aa73

I sent an email to ask for jardes69 hacked bios, but he asked me 15 €! is scandalous, in France sharing is free. :evil:
Rightman707

I wouldn't pay a thing.

After all, it's only instructions.

Anyone have any genuine details on how to do this?
cp
BIOS Guru

it's somewhat tricky to get it working.
get a phoenix bios editor somewhere and install it. open the bios you want to mod. after opening the bios, take a look into the directory where you installed the bios editor. there should be a temp folder which holds the current decompressed bios. replace the display0.rom (or whatever the vga rom is called) in that directory with an updated one. go back to the bios editor and save the bios.
if the bios editor doesn't allow saving, there should be some executable files in that temp folder (or in the installation directory? can't remember, sorry). copy the temp folder to another location and assemble the files with the supplied tools (a search engine should help you on how to do it).
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Rightman707

Are you saying one should take 330_249.bin, rename it and place it in the folder containing the vga bios bin under 3.84 update from Sis?
cp
BIOS Guru

no. i was describing on how to mod a phoenix bios with a demo version of the phoenix bios editor.
cp
BIOS Guru

okay, i've just done it...so you can follow this guide:
1. get a phoenix bios editor somewhere (demo version is sufficient)
2. install it
3. start it
4. open the bios you want to edit AND KEEP THE PROGRAM RUNNING
5. open up a file explorer and navigate to the directory where you installed the bios editor.
6. enter TEMP in the installation directory
7. copy your video bios here
8. take a HEXeditor and identify the current video bios by opening OPROM*.ROM files one after another
9. replace the current video bios with the new video bios (if it's OPROM0.ROM just delete the current OPROM0.ROM and rename the new video bios to OPROM0.ROM)
10. go to the installation directory and copy (DON'T MOVE) PREPARE.EXE and CATENATE.EXE to the TEMP directory
11. open up a command line and navigate to TEMP in the phoenix bios installation directory
12. call 'PREPARE.EXE ROM.SCR'
13. call 'CATENATE.EXE ROM.SCR'
14. your modified bios is called BIOS.ROM and available in the directory now
15. copy your modified bios to another directory and close the phoenix bios editor

happy flashing..and keep an unmodified backup copy of your BIOS!

anyone interested in testing the patched bios for the ACER ASPIRE 3000 at your own risk?