Advent 7009 Insyde MobilePro Bios update

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
widestload
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi

I have an Advent 7009 Laptop I bought back in 2002. Its running Insyde Mobilepro Bios Version 4.00.01 (04/02/2001). I am looking to buy a new monitor for it but have found out that the Laptop wont support the higher resolution (widescreen) as the vga bios part of the bios is too old (currently 1.10.1g).

The intergrated grapics chip is a sis 650 chip. I have tried to work out what motherboard the laptop has and have so far found "dixonsxp sis 650 A1", but this may not be correct as dixons is the name of the shop i bought the laptop from, however after using a number of system diagnostic tools they all seem to return this.

According to SiS's website to get my laptop to display as the moniotrs native resolution i will need to update my vga bios (vbios) to atleast version 2.28.00 (although newer versions are available by the looks of things).

I am in the process of contacting Insyde for support but as yet no reply.

Can anyone help me finding a way to update my VGA Bios? Is there anymore info you need to help?
widestload

Using the online bios check utility from this site i get this returned

BIOS Type: Unknown
BIOS Date: June 12th 2002
BIOS ID: Insyde Software MobilePRO BIOS Version 4.00.01-None
BIOS OEM: Version 4.00
Chipset: SiS 650 rev 1
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: dixonsxp
Motherboard: SiS 650
cp
BIOS Guru

read this:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9748.html

i've just added the first part of the sticky message and i want to emphasize again that currently THERE IS NO WAY to support widescreen on external devices and the main LCD at the same time using the SIS windows drivers. if we update the bios to support widescreen, your main LCD stays black. Even if windows and the drivers are loaded properly. If you stick with your current bios, the windows SIS drivers are not able to display widescreen modes on external devices.

so, there are three options:
1. update the video bios,get rid of your main LCD and use an external widescreen LCD.
2. use Linux, since the driver can support widescreen modes on external devices despite any video bios version.
3. get an external LCD that doesn't use widescreen modes.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
widestload

Yeah I understand that bit and wouldnt mind losing my laptops lcd display as its dying anyways (hence the need to move to a new display - not bought one yet but would like it to be a 22" widescreen at 1640x1050 i think), Maybe I should have made it clearer that what I'm after is a patched Bios with the newer SiS VGA bios.

I had a reply back from Insyde saying (what most of you would probably know) that they are an open source provider of bios's which are then adapted by the computer / motherboard manufacturer, they dont keep a record of the bios's which actually go out tho.
Advent appears to be a PCworld/Dixsons own brand of soughts from what i can work out. Their technical support site called TechGuys has no info or downloads listed under its Advent 7009 Bios section http://support.thetechguys.com/Layout.a ... bba98c962e}
I will give them a ring (from work ;-p as its £1.50 per minute!) but doubt they will be of any use.

So.... is there a way to make a copy of my current bios? post it on the net for some lovely person here to then download and patch with the new SiS info? Or is it not possible to create a copy of the current bios? I will go search the site to see if there is any info on this :wink:
cp
BIOS Guru

As you already found out: the OEM of the laptop is Mitac. They make a lot of notebooks which are then branded and sold. Most of their laptops contain cheap (to VERY cheap) components.

if you could make a backup copy of your current bios and send it via email i can patch it with a newer video bios.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.