ATI All-in-Wonder 128: NTSC to PAL tuner by hacking BIOS?

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
itku
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello all of ya!
I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro PCI card which has a NTSC tuner. Does anybody know if it could be possible to "convert" the tuner to a PAL one, by "hacking" the BIOS (e.g. flashing the bios from a similar card with a PAL tuner or something)?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

It may be theoretically possible, if the colour subcarrier frequency is being generated by a digital PLL under control of the BIOS. Without knowing the board, I think it more likely that the colour subcarrier is generated by a crystal and cannot be changed in the BIOS.
itku

I came back with another problem: I upgraded the memory on the card by soldering other 16Mb, besides the existing 16Mb, but the card still recognizes only 16Mb, although the chipset (Rage128 Pro) can use 32Mb. I think the memory is somehow limited by the card's bios. I thought about flashing a BIOS from a similar AGP card with 32Mb but I doubt it would work, because mine is a PCI version. Any suggestions?
zapbuzz
BIOS Rookie

hope you didnt solder the memory chips directly cause that can damage them (heat or static discharge)
Such huge landfill new tech costs when all we need is scaleability.
itku

zapbuzz, don't worry, I had somebody who did this job professionally, so the chip damage is out of question.
My problem is how could I patch the goddamn ATI bios in order to get at least 32Mb RAM if not even a PAL TV tuner (supposing that I replace the NTSC tuner on the board with a PAL one) :roll:
zapbuzz
BIOS Rookie

perhaps a bios image of another card designed torun withthose specs would help but ive got no clue how to flash em
zapbuzz
BIOS Rookie

if theres unsoldered joints for minature resistors and diodes etc that can cause it not to see.
Unless you have a schematic diagram of the parts its russian rulette placing simular ones; may work or not and increase temperature etc.