Bios Update for SIS M650

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
MHinteregger
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello
I want to use an external TFT-Display (22" Widescreen) with my Siemens Fujitsu Notebook. The problem is, that the M650 Graphic chip does not support WXGA Resolutions. On the SIS Homepage stands, that I have to Update my VBios. My question, where can I get this Update, I already serached in the internet and found nothing. On the SIS Page is no link and Fujitsu Siemens can't help me too.
Greetings
Michael Hinteregger
cp
BIOS Guru

you might want to read this: http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic8989.html

but as it's a notebook it's unlikely that there's a bios editor that would fit your needs. either write to FuSi and complain or install an OS that can set custom modelines (which would NOT be any microsoft OS).
Ascii2
BIOS Rookie

MHinteregger wrote:Hello
I want to use an external TFT-Display (22" Widescreen) with my Siemens Fujitsu Notebook. The problem is, that the M650 Graphic chip does not support WXGA Resolutions. On the SIS Homepage stands, that I have to Update my VBios. My question, where can I get this Update, ...On the SIS Page is no link...
There video BIOS binary probably is available for download on the SiS website, however it probably would not be obviously labeled.

Download the "SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver" driver, and the "SiS AGP(GART) Driver" driver.

The Video BIOS binary would probably be in the withing the "SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver" archive. Look for a *.bn file (will likely (not always) be 48KB in size).

Flash BIOS with more recent Video BIOS information (if it exists), then use the downloaded drivers.
cp
BIOS Guru

there are video bios files in the archive, right. their version however is 1.15.00 which is far away from what you're looking for. or to say it even shorter: the video bios provided in the sis driver packages are useless.

if you could provide a backup of your current (notebook-)bios i could try to patch in a vbios that supports wxga. but there is a drawback: the vbios doesn't have support for any companion chip like the SIS301. so you will probably lose the tv-out or 2nd monitor option.
CJ3

Hi, finally I discovered a forum that is actively dealing with that SiS issue! :D

I am using a MSI mega PC 651 with a SiS M650 and getting desperate for using the 1680 resolution without adding a agp card.

I contacted MSI about that issue and they gave me a modified BIOS with 2.30 Vbios integrated. Sounded good! But actually it didn't change anything.

when i use the default drivers for windows i get a 1440x900 option and 1600x1200 (but not 1680x1050,sigh)
Installing the SiS 3.83 (modified for the use with M650) driver does block the selectable resolutions to max 1280x1024... weird.

Now i will give the 2.30.01 vbios a try - but it looks like the main issue is the way the sis drivers detect the display...

I guess if i would try to integrate the newer 6330.bin vbios file, my system wouldnt boot anymore? (sis M650 = 6325)
Anyone tried? ;)

Ah, and FYI, there is a newer vbios in one of the foxconn bin files (466F1P38.BIN) for the 6330 : 2.51.00
CJ3

well - i kept trying so many different configurations and changes.. now it looks like I found a solution!

don't know exactly what i did :roll: but i took the 3.73 drivers and replaced the original .bin files included (with the old vbios in them) with the actual ones.

after one restart there it was: 1680x1050
or maybe the update to vbios 2.30.01 did the trick?

:lol:

noticed that the change from vbios 1.14 to 2.30 also reduced the size of the vbios... i hope it didn't reduce the support for my tv-out :?