Bootblock Recovery Sucessfull

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Just to report that I have got an assumed bad board running again.

Slot 1 board.
Determined system was recognising CPU and RAM but no VGA whether ISA or PCI.
Had video beep followed by bootblock beep.
Tried shorting BIOS flash chip pins but no effect.
Using BIOS Pages for AWARD on Wim's, matched the board to EX/LX chipset, BIOStar manufacturer.
Model M6TEA was printed on board but was not listed in Wim's BIOS pages.
I can supply the ID code to match M6TEA BIOStar board if Wim's would like to list it.
I used Wim's link to BIOStar website, found the BIOS upgrade under the archives and produced an automated BIOS flash boot disk.
Basically flashed it through, since the floppy was booting (although no video) and once it ran through once it rebooted back into the normal BIOS with video ! ! !

Board now runs through normal BIOS POST and Setup, boots to and runs Windows and accepts ISA, PCI and AGP VGA - whatever I choose.

Thanks for the assistance in related topics.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

Seems to me that this is not actually "forcing checksum error" to activate bootblock (that's why it made no sense for you doing the shorting trick), but rather your system automatically invoked bootblock recovery when it found your system BIOS was corrupted and allowed you to do the reflash

Shorting trick is used when your system cannot boot, i.e. no beeps, no video, no floppy access. If you get floppy access automatically (even without video) without doing the shorting trick, that means bootblock is activated by the system itself.