My cdrw isn't recognized, is that a bios problem?

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
moshi
New visitors - please read the rules.

My computer is a compaq presario 5002us, my cdrw's manufacturer is phillips.
My cdrw hasn't been working for about a month now. I tried the usual places to get help, (compaq support) but with no real help. I tried all the things they suggested, with no avail, and that's where they're usefullness ended. I know there are quite a few skilled people here, when it comes to the computer realm, I just don't know what other information to give or what to do about this darn cdrw problem. My hope is that I can get help here. My educated guess is that my problem is a software and not a hardware problem, because the cdrw light comes on sometimes, and other times the motor humms to life. In fact, yesterday, the com recognized the cdrw once again (just like old times :cry: ) and I was able to open the drive. Can a bios update fix this? I need to record cds, I just don't want to go out and buy a new cdrw when the one I have is perfectley fine. If there is any other things anyone needs to know about my com, I'd be happy to give it. Thanks for your help.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

You might want to try http://forum.rpc1.org
They specialize in CDRW/DVDRW/etc.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

My educated guess is that my problem is a software and not a hardware problem, because the cdrw light comes on sometimes, and other times the motor humms to life. In fact, yesterday, the com recognized the cdrw once again (just like old times ) and I was able to open the drive.
Sounds like cabling trouble. Check cabling. If all firmly fit, your drive is on its way out.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...