computer won't recognize PCI E card on warm boot

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
mrdi
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm running a Gateway GT5040 with an Intel D945GCZ mobo on win xp. When I added on an ATI x800 xl into the PCI Ex slot the computer will only recognize the PCi card on a cold boot ( I mean really cold you need to power off & wait 5 minutes ) otherwise it defaults to the onboard video. When it does recognize the ATI card it runs fine but as soon as you need to restart the machine for any reason you need to go through an extended cold boot process . I've been to both GAteway and ATI support - no help. Things that I've done so far with no success

1. exchanged the ATI card for another
2. flashed latest mobo bios nt94510j.15A
3. Tried latest of both ATI and Omega drivers - no change
4. Gateway BIOS video selection changed to PCI Express from Onboard Video
5. Thoroughly removed the onboard INTEL video drivers

I note that the may 19th 06 Intel version of this mobo's bios (bios version 3869) has a revision fix that reads "fixed onboard graphics enabled when PCIe x16 card present" however I can't find any details on the fix . The Gateway BIOS I'm using is dated May 01 2006 and is GAteways only revision for this board.

I'm suspecting that there's a problem with the Gateway bios or some glich with Intel's quick resume drivers . Because the computer starts correctly only after a power shutdown plus a few minutes wait I'm thinking there must be a POST initialization routine that isn't started when
the machine is power down then restarted right away that might be a clue to the fix.

Anyways I know this is a BIOS forum can any of you guru's out there comment on my bios suspicion?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Marty
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Talk to Gateway about Intel releasing a new bios for the retail version of this board and ask them why they did not release their new OEM version yet.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...