Installation of USB ports in 1996 Computer

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
crazycrow
New visitors - please read the rules.

Denniss
I do apologise. You are quite right ,the VIA USB2 driver package (VIA_USB2_V270PI_L.ZIP (10045 kb)) which I downloaded from VIA Arena web site should have required about 5 floppies. I downloaded it onto the desktop on my XPPro computer. Obviously I did not copy it to a single floppy disk as I thought I had. I must have messed up somewhere.
I have taken the old Windows 98 Computer home but as yet I have been unable to transfer the VIA driver file thereto. I have burnt the file to CD disk but it refuses to open in the Windows 98 computer although it will run on 3 other computers that I checked it on. There is no ethernet adapter in the old computer so I cannot get a broadband connection on it. I have Laplink gold v 11.5 installed on the old Computer but it won’t install in my Xppro computer. I am not having much luck with this one. However, I am working on it and will get there eventually.

On the VIA Arena web site I found a USB2 Multi lingual Driver Package and a USB2 English only Package. I downloaded the latter which I assume was correct. I was and still am rather confused by the instructions given in the preamble viz.

“For Win2K and WinXP, due to licensing agreements, a VIA USB2 driver package cannot be distributed online. Driver support for VIA USB 2.0 controllers requires Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1), Windows 2000 SP4, or system upgrade through Windows Update. Alternatively, please contact your motherboard manufacturer or the manufacturer of the USB 2.0 PCI card if you have misplaced their driver CD. The VIA USB2 driver package below can be installed after the Microsoft driver to further improve device compatibility”.

It starts off by saying that a VIA USB2 driver package cannot be distributed on line but finishes by providing a USB2 driver package for download (the one I downloaded) which can be installed ------ to improve device compatibility.? Perhaps the licensing agreement restrictions only apply to Win2K and Win XP but I find the wording ambiguous.
cp
BIOS Guru

once again: there is no need for USB 2.0 drivers on windows 2k/XP/Vista. they are already included and updates can be obtained via microsoft's (online) update service.
if you have an older Microsoft product, you have to download drivers offered by the manufacturer of the USB chip. otherwise the microsoft product will only be able to support USB 1.1 even though the chip COULD do better.

oh, and btw. again: VIAUSB2V270-L\WIN98&ME (~344kb) contains all the driver you'll need for windows 98. the other directories contain Windows 2k/XP patches from microsoft (Q810090, if you're curious) for usb2.0 wakeup on resume with very old (2k SP3 or XP SP1) versions in 24 (!!!) different languages. they make up at least 10MB of pure digital waste. thank you, microsoft. thank you, via.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
fzabkar
BIOS Newbie

Just to set the record straight, the Maximus Decim driver set appear to contain USB1.1 driver files from Windows 98SE and USB2.0 drivers from Win ME. In any case, they are all Microsoft files, not third party offerings.

One advantage of installing the NUSB drivers is that only one driver is required for all USB storage devices. This means that you won't need to hunt for driver discs whenever you insert a new flash drive.
crazycrow

Thank you fzabkar. I presume that the additional enhanced host controller listed below is the EHCI USB 2 Host Controller I was looking for. I’m afraid that the detailed information retrieved is far too technical for me to make sense of. Perhaps you might be able to find a clue therein as to why the USB 2 controller adapter will not work. It would be great if you could.

Code: Select all

INFORMATION FROM UVCVIEW

My Computer                                              }
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller       } These items
         RootHub                                         } were also
            [Port 1]                                     } shown in          
            [Port 2]                                     } USBVIEW
                                                         }            
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller       }  
         RootHub                                         }
            [Port 1]                                     }
            [Port 2]                                     }  

VIA to USB Enhanced Host Controller                      } This Enhanced
         RootHub                                         } Host Controller
            [Port 1]                                     } was not shown
            [Port 2]                                     } in UCB View
            [Port 3]                                     }
            [Port 4]                                     }

DETAILS OF VIA to USB ENHANCED HOST CONTROLLER (shown in the rt.hand pane) follows

DriverKey: USB\0002
VendorID: 1106
DeviceID: 3104
SubSysID: 31041106
Revision: 65

USB Host Controller Power State Info for all System States
System State WdmUsbPowerSystemWorking NO Wake Up, NOT Powered
HcDevicePowerState : 201 WdmUsbPowerDeviceD0
HcDeviceWake : 204 WdmUsbPowerDeviceD3
HcSystemWake : 000 WdmUsbPowerNotMapped
RhDevicePowerState : 201 WdmUsbPowerDeviceD0
RhDeviceWake : 203 WdmUsbPowerDeviceD2
RhSystemWake : 101 WdmUsbPowerSystemWorking
LastSystemSleepState: 000 WdmUsbPowerNotMapped

System State WdmUsbPowerSystemSleeping1 NO Wake Up, Powered
RhDevicePowerState : 204 WdmUsbPowerDeviceD3

System State WdmUsbPowerSystemSleeping2 NO Wake Up, Powered

System State WdmUsbPowerSystemSleeping3 NO Wake Up, Powered

System State WdmUsbPowerSystemHibernate NO Wake Up, Powered

System State WdmUsbPowerSystemShutdown NO Wake Up, NOT Powered
HcDevicePowerState : 000 WdmUsbPowerNotMapped
RhDevicePowerState : 000 WdmUsbPowerNotMapped

There are no devices shown connected to any of the ports (even when a device is connected)
The USB 2 PCI Card Controller adapter (VIA) fitted has 5 Ports , 4 External and 1 internal.

Note - Edited for clarity. KW
fzabkar
BIOS Newbie

I can't see anything wrong with your UVCView output. Although it's a different chipset, the output looks similar to that produced by my SiS 7002 host controller. On my Win98SE box, UVCView displays the properties of my DSL modem's USB port even though I haven't installed its drivers, so the fact that your flash drive isn't detected suggests a hardware problem. However, I would try to install VIA's drivers to make absolutely sure.

I have collected the Win98/ME files in VIA's 10MB download. I hope the following 154KB download is a little easier to handle, although you'll have to point Win98 to the appropriate INF files.

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/VIA_W98_ME.zip

If the VIA drivers give you no joy, I'd measure the +5V power going to the USB connector.

See http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Just be very careful. I'd use some insulating cardboard to prevent shorting the pins to the connector body.
crazycrow

fzabkar
Very many thanks for the 154kb download of Win 98/ME VIA files. I will have no trouble handling them. I take it that these files are correct for Win. 98SE. You say that I will have to point Win98 to the appropriate INF files. How do I go about doing that. ? Where will I find the INF files.?

I have measured the voltage between Pins 1&4 of the USB Jack Connector and have found it to be 5 Volts DC exactly. I was careful to avoid shorting the pins to the connector body. Thanks for alerting me to that danger.

You suggest that I may have a hardware fault. I don’t think that the USB2 Adapter card is faulty because I had it working in my XPPro computer. Unless of course the card is not properly seated. I’ll check that. Motherboard (chipset) ? Bios?

I am going off tomorrow for the rest of the week so I’ll have to leave this until next week.

Thanks again for your help.
crazycrow

Hi Cp

I know that XPPro will support the USB 2 PCI Card Controller adapter (VIA) using drivers provided by Microsoft.
I have had it running on my XPPro computer without downloading drivers from the VIA site.
I am trying to install the card in an old 1996 Computer which has an Intel i430 FX Triton motherboard & Award modular bios v 4.50G.and is running on Win.98SE updated from Win 95. I would be quite happy if it would run at USB 1.1 speed. At present I can’t get it to run at all. When I first tried to install the USB card drivers were found on the Win 98SE installation disk. Windows reported a successful installation and that the device could now be used. Device Manager showed everything to be working correctly. Not so, the USB ports remain dead. I think I read a report somewhere that the Bios on older computers (prior to 1999 I think) might not support USB . I hope I am wrong about that. Anyhow, you seem to be confident enough that the hardware is compatible and I am happy about that.
Thanks for your help and encouragement
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

card might not get an interrupt due to it wanting PCI rev 2.0 or even 2.1/2.2 support. In that case the USB support isn't the problem, the old PCI slots on the board are.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

card might not get an interrupt due to it wanting PCI rev 2.0 or even 2.1/2.2 support.
interrupt behaviour was never changed in the PCI 2.x specs. read the document i posted before which shows the updates from PCI 2.0 to 2.1. the following document shows the updates from 2.1 to 2.2:

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/co ... um1215.pdf

from 2.0 to 2.1 they doubled the bus-width from 32 to 64bit and doubled the busclock from 33 to 66MHz. they also allowed 3.3v signals on the slots.
in 2.2 they made the 3.3v signals a MUST.

now, if you take a PCI card that is available on the consumer market, you will probably get a card that 1. uses 5V signals from the slot, 2. uses the 32bit bus and 3. uses the 33MHz clock. those cards are by far the vast majority of all PCI cards out there.
YES, there are also 64bit PCI cards, but there are few.mainly server-based cards (NIC, SCSI, RAID, SATA) that are expensive. too expensive for the standard consumer, to be exact. and you will be able to identify a 64bit card easily because it will not fit into the 32bit PCI slot.
take a look at the following picture. there are three 64bit pci slots and one 32bit pci slot. 32bit pci slots is mainly what consumers get.
http://media.hardwareanalysis.com/artic ... /11380.jpg

3.3v and 5v variants are distinguished by notches:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec04/i ... tes1.l.jpg

on top is a 5v only variant. the card below that is 3.3v and 5v tolerant, so it can be used in both slots. a 3.3v only card would only have the notch that is close to the bracket.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

odd, why is it many newer cards simply refuse to work in older boards then due to not getting an interrupt? Something with plug-n-play maybe? I'm still wondering why this *^@$^* happens...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

cp
BIOS Guru

the card IS there and it is working with the motherboard. there is an UHCI (1.1) and even EHCI (2.0) is detected.

problems with PCI cards, slots and interrupts may arise if cards do not support IRQ sharing properly. and by that i don't mean the irq number but the irq line (also called _INT# in terms of pci signals). but that could be easily resolved by switching the card to another slot.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

aaah now it begins to make sense...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

crazycrow

I have pursued this issue without success. I am grateful for the help and advice I received along the way. Before giving up on it completely I have carried out an audit of my setup in the hope that someone might put a finger on what is preventing the USB 2 controller adapter card from working.
As a last resort, should I try moving the card to another slot?

Computer Intel Pentium(r) Processor
Operating System Windows 98SE
40mb Ram
Intel i430 FX Triton Motherboard.
Award Modular Bios 4.50G
I understand that the Intel 430FX (Triton) supports PCI level 2.0 compliance.
I presume that the Intel i430 FX (Triton) does likewise.

I have installed the generic VIA USB2.0 drivers correctly, or so I believe.(see below). Device Manager reports that they are all working correctly. There are no yellow exclamation marks against any of the items. There is +5 volts DC between pins1 & 4 of the USB connector but no data/signal coming through.

The following is an updated summary of the VIA2 software as shown in Device Manager

Universal Serial Bus Controllers
1. USB 2.0 Root Hub
2. USB Root Hub
3. USB Root Hub
4. VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
5. VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
6. VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

PRORERTIES OF THE ABOVE 6 DEVICES ARE AS FOLLOWS

1. USB 2.0 Root Hub Properties
Driver Provider: Microsoft Date: 5-29-2007
Driver File Details
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\usbhub20.sys
C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VDX [NTKERN.vdx]
Provider: Microsoft Corporation. File version: 5.00.2195.6891

2. USB Root Hub Properties
Device type:USB Serial Bus controllers. Manufacturer: Standard USB Host Controller.
Device usage: Exists in all hardware profiles
Driver USB Root Hub Provider Microsoft. Date 4-23-1999
Driver File Details
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VDX [NTKERN.vdx]
Provider: Microsoft Corporation. File version: 4.10.2222

3. USB Root Hub Properties
Device type:USB Serial Bus controllers. Manufacturer: Standard USB Host Controller.
Properties are identical to those shown for device 2 above

4. VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller Properties
Device type: USB Controllers
Manufacturer : VIA
Hardware Version 101. Exists in all hardware profiles.
Driver: VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller. Provider VIA. Date 5-29-2007
Driver File Details
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys
C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VDX [NTKERN.vxd]
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBHUB20.SYS
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBPORT.SYS
Provider: VIA Technologies INC File version: 4.90.3000.11
Resources
Resourse type Setting
Interupt request 09
Memory Range F1000000-F10000FF
No Conflicts

5. VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Properties
Device type: USB Controllers
Manufacturer : VIA
Hardware Version 098. Exists in all hardware profiles.
Driver: VIA PCI to USB Universal Host Controller. Provider Microsoft. Date 4-23-1999
Driver File Details
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\uhcd.sys
C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VDX [NTKERN.vxd]
C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBUI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBHUB.SYS
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBD.SYS
Provider: Microsoft Corporation. File version: 4.10.2222
Resources
Resourse type Setting
Interupt request 10
Input/Output Range 6000-601F
No Conflicts

6. VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Properties.
Properties are identical to those shown for device 5 above except for.
Resorces
Resourse type Setting
Interupt request 11
Input/Output Range 6100-611F
No Conflicts
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

You could try to do that.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything