Intel GM965 frustration

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
raffieltiger
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario c793vu laptop with an Intel GM965 graphics chipset. I have been looking for a way to update the vbios from version 1533 to 1668, but have had no luck with any program.

The system bios is InsydeH20, and it's packed as a .fd file which makes it seemingly impossible to decompress. I downloaded Insydeco 0.1, but it said the zip file was corrupt.

All I want to do is update the vbios, so that I can actually run games without them lagging so much.

Does anyone have any experience with being able to patch an Insyde system bios with a new vbios? Any help would be greatly appreciated..
cp
BIOS Guru

i'm quite sure that a video bios update will not solve your games problem. the real problem is that it is an integrated graphic adapter and not suited to run (recent) games in high resolution. the latest vga drivers could help in this case, but i still doubt that even they would solve the problem.
so either reduce the resolution, disable effects, don't play recent games or buy a laptop with dedicated vga. it's as simple as that.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
raffieltiger

I'm not even trying to run recent games in high resolution. The current vbios version reports an incorrect amount of video ram, it shows up as 8mb as opposed to the 256mb it is supposed to be using.

Which makes me think that a vbios update WILL fix my problems.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

That's not a problem at all. Intel uses a dynamic Video ram assignment, it used 8 MiB as a static minimum and uses more dynamically if needed (up to the maximum setting in Bios or driver).

As cp said, the Intel integrated VGA are not only known for their slowness (if compared to ATI/Nvidia integrated VGA) but also for their driver problems especially with games.

Latest driver (copy and paste link):

Code: Select all

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2800&DwnldID=17178&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng
raffieltiger

Thanks anyway, the laptop was a gift and I was hoping I was able to play some games on it, but it looks like I will just save up for a new one.
cp
BIOS Guru

expect this from a X3100 (the vga core integrated into the GM965):
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4154

as a comparison the NVidia 7150M and GeForce Go 6150:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4145

integrated vga cores are good 2D and GUI accelerators paired with DVD acceleration and a lousy 3D part. they deliver what they ought to do: office performance.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
raffieltiger

*sigh* I wish I had a dual core with a dedicated graphics chip.