K8S-LA

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
Neander
New visitors - please read the rules.

Before fixing my BIOS I was not able to get the 1440x900 resolution to work with my SIS 760 integrated graphics but this topic: http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic8989.html
worked great to update my ASUS K8S-LA.

I have an HP A1112N with the motherboard that HP calls Salmon-GL6E. The stock bios from HP unfortunatly used the 0.99 version video BIOS for the SIS760 video which wouldn't display the full resolution of my new LCD moniter. So I search around and the above topic was just the ticket. Here's a summary of what I did:

I downloaded a copy of the bios from HP and extracted it.
The bios file is called 315.rom I ended up renaming it 315a.bin to work on it and the .bin extension seemed to work better with modbin when I was puttering around with it.

I didn't have luck with the 1st version of cbrom I found which was the 2.07 version as it created bios files that were giving me checksum errors with winflash (the flashing utility I used). I found a version around in a bios tool kit called cbrom155 and it worked great. So the steps I took:
First: at command prompt typing cbrom155 315a.bin /D showed that the video bios file 760vga2.rom was version 0.99 which is bad.
So then you follow the mini-How-To by cp at the link above. I used the video bios file linked at the bottom of his post for the sis760 called 330_249.bin I placed all the files I was working with into a single directory.

My exact commands were:
cbrom155 315a.bin /D to see what's up
cbrom155 315a.bin /vga extract to save my current vga bios
cbrom155 315a.bin /vga release to remove the old video bios
cbrom155 315a.bin /vga 330_249.bin to add the newer SIS 760 bios
cbrom155 315a.bin /D again to check that everything was right
It looked good.

I doubt it's important but I also opened it in modbin6 just to see if I could enable S3 standby but I couldn't figure it out so I didn't modify anything there but I can't remember if I saved it or not.

I flashed the main bios with winflash.exe and it works great. There was no checksum error like with my 1st try using cbrom 2.07. No video issues that I've noticed and I tested with light 3D and regular 2D usages. It's been about a week and it's been perfect.

[edit] Thanks cp [/edit]
cp
BIOS Guru

you're welcome :)
maybe you can PM the user "Creedence" since he is in need of a patched bios, too.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
geezidunno

I downloaded a copy of the bios from HP and extracted it.

I'm not quite sure where you are getting this file. I only see ' sp26627.exe' and when I extract it I cannot find 315.rom. A little hand holding is necessary, I guess ;)
Spiff

Ok, I've got a 315.rom with the updated video code, now what?
The version of Winflash that unpacked with the original BIOS wants me to pick which parts of the BIOS chip to update.

I expected to type "winflash 315.rom" then click "ok" and be done.
Which version of Winflash did you use? Are there command-line parameters I need to include? Are their choices/options I need to select once Winflash starts?

I'm fairly chicken of turning my PC into a paperweight, so, can you walk us through the Winflash process?

Thanks.
peterxu

Spiff wrote:Ok, I've got a 315.rom with the updated video code, now what?
The version of Winflash that unpacked with the original BIOS wants me to pick which parts of the BIOS chip to update.

I expected to type "winflash 315.rom" then click "ok" and be done.
Which version of Winflash did you use? Are there command-line parameters I need to include? Are their choices/options I need to select once Winflash starts?

I'm fairly chicken of turning my PC into a paperweight, so, can you walk us through the Winflash process?

Thanks.
"

Hi there, Could you give a detail about how you get 315.rom from HP sp26627?
thanks and appreciate for your help.

peter
rohiller

This procedure worked great for me. Thanks! I was looking for a solution all week.

-Bob
cp
BIOS Guru

we have a patched version of the K8S-LA bios on our download site now.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
kenelito

Hello!
Were can I download the patched bios for my K8S LA ?
Thanks
Denniss
BIOS Guru

cp wrote:we have a patched version of the K8S-LA bios on our download site now.
t0cableguy

Is this still on the download site? and where the heck is the download site? and how do i flash my bios? I may seem like a jerk but i cannot find any of this stuff!
t0cableguy

ok... call me a fool but i found the download page.. Now i'm trying to flash the bios.. how to i make winflash actually do the work.. what options.. call me a fool but when i do what i think its supposed to be set at it just freezes up and does nothing.
t0cableguy

ok.. i think i patched it finally.. had to download winflash separately as the version in the zip file is fubared.. it just locks up completely when i try to flash.. no update window pops up at all.