latest SiS650 Bios with DVI Support?

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
Der_KHAN
New visitors - please read the rules.

hey guys,

i have this MSI Hermes 650-P at work with a 19"TFT and a 19"CRT attached. now what i'm trying to do is running the TFT at 1280x1024 and the CRT at 1152x864. unfortunately i can't set the 1152x resolution. theres only 1024x, which is too small, or 1280x, which is too blurry. i have installed the monitor drivers and tried different versions of the univga3 driver. (2.17, 2.22, 3.6x, 3.73, 3.83) but it didn't change anything. i guess it's the outdated vga bios. i believe my mainboard is the MS-6535 Rev 1, not Rev 1.1.

now cp writes that the latest sis driver disables the dvi port, but i need it to run 2 displays. so is there a driver version that would solve my problem?

this is what driver agent reports:
BIOS Type: AMI
BIOS Date: June 7th 2002
BIOS ID: 62-0607-009999-00101111-040201-SiS645-1AAWV001
BIOS OEM: A6232SMS V1.1 060702 - 07.00T
Chipset: SiS 650 rev 1
SuperIO: Winbond 697HF rev 6 at port 002E
Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard: MS-6535
and this is from the display settings panel in windows:

Image Image

the URL to my current BIOS, i guess: http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func ... prod_no=23

cp
BIOS Guru

now cp writes that the latest sis driver disables the dvi port, but i need it to run 2 displays. so is there a driver version that would solve my problem?
the driver does not disable the dvi port. the dvi port is disabled if you'd update the video bios to one recent enough to support widescreen with the SiS windows drivers. and this is only because there is no video bios with SIS video bridge (SIS301 / 302) support (not that i know of, at least) with a version above 2.28.00.

the nice thing is: only the windows driver needs an updated video bios to support widescreen resolutions. the Linux driver by Thomas Winischhofer ( http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisvga.shtml ) does widescreen with every video bios version.

so you can either switch over to Linux and enjoy dual-view there, buy a new (pci, agp, pcie) VGA with dual-view or write your own SIS windows driver that supports widescreen. or write a complaint to SIS about their quirky windows drivers.

anyway, it's all SIS' fault.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Der_KHAN
New visitors - please read the rules.

i wrote:now cp writes that the latest sis driver disables the dvi port, but i need it to run 2 displays. so is there a driver version that would solve my problem?
oops, i'm sorry. i meant to say bios instead of driver here.
cp wrote:and this is only because there is no video bios with SIS video bridge (SIS301 / 302) support (not that i know of, at least) with a version above 2.28.00.
ok, so with version 2.28.00 i still have support for that bridge chip?

cuz from what it looks like i have version 1.08.00 right now.
cp
BIOS Guru

ok, so with version 2.28.00 i still have support for that bridge chip?
look, there are two kinds of video bioses out there integrated in various bioses: one that does include support for a video bridge and one that does not include support for a video bridge. i don't know if the versions with video bridge support ALL available video bridges or just the one they were written for.
anyway, i don't have a video bios with support for 1) widescreen with SIS' windows drivers AND 2) SIS video bridge support.
cuz from what it looks like i have version 1.08.00 right now.
so you'll not be able to use widescreen resolutions with SIS' windows drivers. and there is no cure. go and write SIS that you need either a new video bios with video bridge support or proper windows drivers. (i doubt that they are willing to supply either of those)
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.