Monitor and card problem

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
Henke
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello Wimers,

I've been trying to get an old graphics card I had lying around up and running for some time now, with no joy. I put it into my computer, connect the monitor to the back of it, power the computer up and..........my desktop looks as if it has been put under a magnifier, with all the desktop icons rather enlarged, and I am not able to see far enough down the screen to get access to my 'start' button to get into my 'control panel' to see if I can adjust things there. Also, by playing about with things, I was able to discover that the monitor graphics are still being driven by the original card in the machine, and not by the graphics card I just fitted. I have the driver for the 'new' graphics card on a CD - it isn't the original CD but one that I burned the driver onto from a website - but when I open up the zip file within, what I should click on to get the driver to 'load' isn't obvious - there are just a load of different files.

In the end I am forced to remove my card (I have tried it in a few slots, to no avail) and reconnect the monitor to its original connection in the back of the computer, so that I can get access to the 'start' button.

The card is a rather old MX420 (AGP), but if anyone could provide guidance about whether I need to adjust the display settings or not, how to get my computer to recognise the new card (it may already do, but I just can't see this because it may be appearing at the bottom of the screen out of sight), how to get my driver to work, etc, etc, I'd be most grateful.

Do I have to disable, remove or uninstall the driver for the original Intel graphics card before I can load the new driver for the MX420 graphics card. I am worried in case deleting the original beforehand renders the monitor unreadable, thus I wouldn't be able to load up the new driver.

My system at present:

Dell Dimension 2400
MS Windows XP SP2
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHZ
512MB RAM
Intel(R) 82845 G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
34.40 GB Hard Drive free space
Bus Clock 533 MHZ
BIOS DELL Corp. A00 05/23/2003
510MB Installed Memory

INTEL(R) EXTREME GRAPHICS REPORT

Report Date: 06/21/2007
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 14:10:21
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4342
Operating System: Windows NT* 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 510 MB
Min. Graphics Memory: 1 MB
Max. Graphics Memory: 64 MB
Graphics Memory in use: 8 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2657 MHZ
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2562
Device Revision: 1

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Henke
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

do you know what website the driver files came from? Maybe we can try and make a new driver set. The card needs its drivers to operate, setting the desktop resolution does NOT require the taskbar so all we need is to make sure the drivers are in place before fitting the card.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

get the latest driver for your vga card here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

make sure to download it BEFORE you swap in the card. after downloading you can unpack the file to your harddisk (it is a selfextracting executable, so use a 3rd party tool to unpack it). power down, insert your new card and boot up again. if you're now asked for drivers point windows to the directory where you unpacked that sfx to.