Monitor Skewed during Boot

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I have a Tatung CM17-MKR 17" monitor on a system with an older Cirrus Logic Video Card. During POST, I can read the screen just fine. As soon as Win98SE starts to boot, the monitor "Mode" switches (it has an LED display of that in the controls area), and the screen becomes distorted. Once the Video Driver loads near the end of the Windows boot, the screen then becomes clear again and all is well. The default Windows driver for the card is in use, and the proper Monitor.INF is also loaded.

This would be OK, I guess, but if I go to set the BIOS settings, the screen is skewed, and I can't see the right hand edge. The Vertical is also squished down, but not so much that I can't read the screen.

I'm guessing either the Video Card or the Monitor is going into some default mode during this time, and that is the reason for the distortion. Is there any way to set the "Mode" manually, at least during the DOS part of the boot? I recall there are DOS commands you can put in your AUTOEXEC.BAT to do that, but I don't recall what they are, or the syntax. I have not found a way to adjust this in the monitor itself, but I don't have a manual either...

Anyone remember? Thanks!!
soupy
Absentee administrator

If your monitor is relatively new, you should be able to adjust the screen dimensions for whatever resolution/refresh rate it's at during that period.

If your monitor DOESN'T support different screen settings for each resolution, you probably need a newer one.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

It is fairly new, and works fine once Windows is up and running.

As I said, the problem is during the boot. I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that the Video Card is the problem, since I don't remember this happening on my S3 card at home (I had to repair the monitor first before giving it to her). It probably goes into some default horizontal/vertical setting that the monitor can't do, but it does the best it can.

Trying to find a manual somewhere online...

[CM-17MKR.Add]
HKR,"MODES\1600,1200",Mode1,,"28-82,50.0-120.0,-,-"
HKR,,ICMProfile,1,9
soupy
Absentee administrator

Ok, if the monitor is new enough, does it store horizontal/vertical settings for each resolution? If so, you should be able to pause and adjust it during POST.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

It can display the horizontal scan rate, but not the vertical. There is some sort of recall button feature, but no button is there, so I guess that option isn't on this monitor, or it is a universal case.
:-(
Good thought though...still looking for a manual...
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Video Card is detected as a Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI. It is 64-bit, and has 1MB (upgradeable to 2MB) Video Memory onboard.