MSI MS-6719 (was:1440*900 - SIS 651 - ASRock K7S8XE+/A/ASR)

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
feival
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks Edwin. I tried that and got the following error? Any ideas?

By feival
cp
BIOS Guru

please try:

r:
<enter>
dir
<enter>
(if something else than an error shows up)
awdfl816.exe w6719med.207 /py/sn
<enter>
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
feival

Thanks for the advice. I tried that but it didn´t seem to work.

I then tried a dir on the a drive and got this. not sure if that helps but it does at least confirm (to my mind) that the CD is working fine.

cp
BIOS Guru

does it? there's an I/O error reading drive A.
you should replace the cd-rom drive at least for the flashing process.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I agree, doesn't look healthy at all. I have the same problem, I keep a spare new CD drive for flashing purposes. Have had too many installation problems with old CD drives... Hair-pulling stuff...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
feival

This gets weirder. My mother-in-law kept her old PC and I dug it out and swapped over the floppy drive and CD/DVD ROM. Same problem with both drives except this time when I did the DIR on the A Drive as above I didn´t get the error message. Same error message on the R Drive. I think I am now giving up!!!!
ajamese

Hello there.

I have (or at least thought I had) an MSI 6719 chipset in my Medion PC and have recently attempted to flash my BIOS using the patched BIOS from the downloads section here, with a view to gaining a resolution of 1280x768 to allow me to take advantage of the highest resolution my HDTV can take via its VGA port. I found the name of the chipset via the latest version of SiSoftware Sandra Lite, and it matched the "MS 6719" displayed during POST.

Strangely enough when I ran awdfl816.exe it displayed the name "MS 6716", however the string (that can be viewed here http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/OEM/medion/index.html ) matched that of the MSI 6719 (the bios version was 1.1 though, not the latest one found on that website). With the evidence leaning in the way of my PC having the 6719 rather than the 6716 I input the follwoing command:

awdfl816.exe w6719med.bin /f

It overwrote the BIOS and now my computer turns on with no display output, a series of internal beeps and then nothing. I do believe the POST still operates as the LEDs on the keyboard, CD-RW drive, DVD drive and Floppy drive all still light up, and if a floppy is in the drive the computer accesses it.

I did create a back up disk of the BIOS, and have put the original bios onto the floppy containing awdfl816.exe in the hope that I could "stumble around in the dark" and overwrite the BIOS with the original one, however all attempts have been unsuccessful.

Has my motherboard had it? Or could I get around this by buying a graphics card so that I could actually see what I am doing and then flash the BIOS?

All help is appreciated.
cp
BIOS Guru

MSI 6716 is not MSI 6719!

open your box, check the mainboard for the real (tm) mainboard name silkscreened in white letters on it. report back with your findings. since the mainboard is still beeping you might be able to emergency flash it with the correct bios later.
ajamese

Having opened up my PC and having looked at both the BIOS chip and the motherboard itself I can confirm that it does indeed have an MS 6719 motherboard.

EDIT: I have managed to recover the original BIOS by changing AUTOEXEC.BAT on the boot disk to:

@echo off
AWDFL816.EXE W2719MED.207 W2719MED.BIN /py /sn /cc /cp /cd /sb /r
goto end
:end

(adapted from something I found here: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/a ... award-bios )

I actually thought I had the patched BIOS on the floppy disk, not the original, but as the original was restored I guess I was mistaken. My computer now works as it did before I flashed the BIOS, meaning the original screen resolution issue is still present.

By inputting my PC's serial number into the Medion support site I was given a download link to BIOS version 1.15, does that mean my board is board revision 1 and as such not compatible with the patched BIOS or BIOS 2.07?

Regarding the MS 6716 business, upon running the AUTOEXEC.BAT included with the patched BIOS in the command prompt on any computer it says "Start flashing BIOS MD 6716". I have tested the AUTOEXEC.BAT files included in the official Medion 2.07 BIOS and the official Medion 1.15 BIOS and they all show 6716 rather than 6719.

Does this mean that the flash failed as the AWDFL816.EXE is for a 6716 board, did it fail because I renamed W6719MED.207 as W6719MED.BIN, or did it fail because the board is revision 1?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

It seems Medion used two revision of the MS-6719. Revision 1.0x using an 1.x Bios version; Revision 1.1x using a 2.0 Bios version.
If your serial number search at Medion comes up with an 1.x Bios your motherboard revision is 1.0x thus flashing a 2.x Bios does not work on your board.