Need LVDS disabled

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
rytomi
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a small problem I was hoping someone could help me with.

I am trying to setup Linux on my old machine, but I am having a video issue. The motherboard is a Jetway NF-91-600LF board, which is based on an Intel 915 mobile chipset. The integrated graphics is an Intel GMA900.

The problem is, this chipset has built in capability to support an LVDS (laptop display) along with a VGA monitor. The motherboard only has a VGA port on it, which I have my monitor connected to. When I try to make an install, Linux is seeing the LVDS as a valid display, automatically enabling extended desktop mode, and making the LVDS the primary. This is causing problems because everything is appearing on the invisible non-existent display.

There are options in the BIOS for configuring the LVDS resolution, but no option to disable it entirely.

So, my question is, is there are way to make an option in the BIOS to disable the LVDS?
Or maybe even just flat-out permenantely disable the LVDS with a BIOS mod?

A link to the BIOS is HERE. Any help is much, much appreciated.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Installing Linux in vesa-mode doesn't help? If my mind serves me correctly, linux can be forced to install in many ways, you can even tell it to use the external monitor only, just a matter of parameters...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
rytomi
New visitors - please read the rules.

edwin wrote:Installing Linux in vesa-mode doesn't help? If my mind serves me correctly, linux can be forced to install in many ways, you can even tell it to use the external monitor only, just a matter of parameters...
Well, I can get it installed no problem. It's once it is installed that is the issue. The logon screen and desktop and all icons and functions appear offscreen to the left on the invisible non-existent monitor.

There is a way to turn off extended desktop mode, but only once logged in... and I can't get that far. I was hoping to find a way to get the LVDS disabled entirely, as I will never use it on a desktop computer anyways.