Need of patched BIOS for Foxconn 6627MA-RS2H

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
hikkianimeotaku
New visitors - please read the rules.

I use PC with this mainboard and wide display Samsung SA100, so I need resolution 1366x768. I've updated drivers, updated BIOS to lastest versions but it still don't works.

Help me please and sorry for my very bad english.

Here's link on BIOS I'm using (version 661F1P50):

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download. ... rds=&sort=
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Patched bios attached. Make a backup of your current bios first. Use at own risk.
Attachments
661f1p5p.zip
6627MA-RS2H release 661F1P50 with vbios 2.49 unzip first.
(301.07 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
hikkianimeotaku

Thank you for fast reply.
I tried to flash patched BIOS. Wide resolution are available only with scrolling with it, like it was with the old (factory) one. But some artifacts were appeared. Reinstalling of drivers gives no effect. So now I'm with native 661f1p50 BIOS again.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

only with scrolling? before installing the new bios, did you uninstall all SiS drivers and after install did you install the very latest univga drivers? And what SA100 model do you have, which size?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Bruno_007

I patched the BIOS myself from this Foxconn model, and also used edwin's BIOS he posted.

The widescreen resolutions were working, but there were artifacts all over the screen in a certain pattern. Those would occur even right as the windows logo shows when the PC is booting, so it can't be attributed to drivers. Using a 16bit color resolution would make them almost disappear. The original VGA BIOS doesn't shows them, even at the highest resolution.

Is this known and is there a solution to it? Perhaps another version of the VGA bios is available? I used the 2.49 one.
Bruno_007

I found a 2.51 VGA BIOS version of the SiS 330, series 6. Anyone advice against trying it?
Bruno_007

The 2.51 version still had the same problem, but I found something interesting. In Vista x86 there's a SiS driver that enables a bunch of widescreen resolutions:

I only found this driver on Vista x86 through, I tried Vista x64 and Win7 x86/x64 and I couldn't get it to autodetect there, so the driver file probably wasn't there to being with.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

can you email me the 2.51 version of the vbios please? And what driver set version is that?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Bruno_007

If I knew your email, yes, but no need I found it here: http://bios-mods.com/resources/index.ph ... order=desc

Look for a file called SiS 6330 2.51.00.ROM.

And where would I find that driver set version thing? I didn't installed any SiS drivers, I'm just using the one Vista x86 came with.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

OK, I tracked that one down to coming from an Asus board. However, I have no real idea where the artifacts may come from other than the capacitors on your board not being adequate enough or broken. Can you please check http://www.badcaps.net to see what I mean? Your motherboard may suffer from this problem.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Bruno_007

Perhaps, perhaps not, as why does it works fine with the original VGA BIOS from the latest official Foxconn BIOS (same version that the thread started said)?

I've just compared both BIOS now:

The one from Foxconn did a big jump or changed the versioning system, and its also about one year newer than the 2.49 one. If its some problem with a capacitor I'm not gonna bother, its not my board. :P

Still, that VGA BIOS from Foxconn does not has 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions, but it seems solved with the driver Vista installed. Now I just have to deal with a problem about TrustedInstaller crashing, which happens even after a fresh OS install. I might just try that Vista driver on the Win7 OS to get rid of it.
Bruno_007

About the GPU driver Vista was installing, I realised it was an older version of a SiS driver. I tried again with the more recent one, 2.93, but this time installing directly from the device manager, and I now was able to get past the 1024x768 resolution when selecting higher resolution ones (it would just stay at 1024x768, so if I selected a higher one I would had to go to the monitor edges with the mouse to see the rest of the desktop, and that's why I assumed my VGA BIOS couldn't render higher resolutions).

I also modified the 2.93 driver to include more resolutions: 1280x720, 1280x800, 1360x768, 1400x1050 and 1600x900.

http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/56437157/file.html (install the driver throught device manager, ignore the invalid certificate error warning)

I tested it on Vista and Windows 7, both x86. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to enable the 1366x768 resolution.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Because of the way the windows driver works, this 1366x768 needs to be in some table in the vbios. Since SiS can absolutely not be bothered to update that vbios to include it, for windows this really is the end of the road. I suggest you get a cheap add-in video card that will support this resolution.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Bruno_007

Yeah... Well its good as it is, thanks!