Need Patched BIOS for Shuttle SS40G

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
Gilles
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I tried to install the latest driver for Sis 650 on my shuttle SS40G (found through wim's bios) but I still don't have access to widescreen resolutions.

I need to display a 1366*768 resolution on my LCD TV.

There are modified bios available for shuttle SS50G, but not for SS40G.
Can someone be king enough to post a patched bios file?

Here is the link for the original bios (FS40S047.BIN):
http://image.shuttle.com/ResourceCenter ... e_id=10091
As I'm not 100% sure the direct link will work, here is the link to the download page:
http://global.shuttle.com/download03.jsp?PI=466&OS=4
I couldn't download the bios file last week, but it seems to work just fine today, so if the link seems to be dead, wait for a few days to try again.

Thanks a lot
cp
BIOS Guru

With a patched BIOS you will only be able to display 1440*900 if you use Windows. With Linux and its 3rd party drivers you can choose virtually any resolution you want no matter which version the vBIOS is.
Solution if you need Windows: Use a dedicated VGA card with anything but a SiS chipset.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Gilles

Thanks for the reply.
1440*900 might do the trick. My TV seems to be able to handle higher resolutions. What I really need is widescreen. I can only choose between 4/3 resolutions on the shuttle.
Even if it doesn't work for me, the patched bios might be useful to other owners of a SS40G.
cp
BIOS Guru

patched and available on our download page.
note that only the analog VGA output will work with the patched version!
Gilles

Thanks a lot for the patch.
I tought I should share a little feedback in case other SS40G users wanted to give it a try.
As cp stated before, only 1440*900 can be obtained with this patch. I couldn't get it to work on my TV. (It's a 720p but it can handle 1080p, so I thought it could try to deal with 1440*900, but I'm stuck with "no signal")
Moreover, the 1440*900 resolution isn't available with SiS v3.73 drivers. If you want to have access to this resolution, you have to uninstall the drivers.
I also tried to install powerstrip with and without the SiS drivers to see if it would offer me access to other options. The only new widescreen resolution powerstrip offers is a 1024*576, which leaves a lot of black space around the screen.
I hope those infos and the patched bios will be of use to someone.

Now, a last question: is there a guide somewhere on how to hack a bios? When I was trying to boot on a floppy to flash the bios, I thought it could be very useful to have a modified bios which could boot from a USB drive.

Thanks again cp for all your efforts.
cp
BIOS Guru

pinczakko has gathered a lot of useful information!
you can even start over at coreboot and start coding some routines to support your favourite chipset / processor.