I need a patched bios!

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
axion68
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello!

I have an Asus P5S800-VM (This is the Vintage PE1 barebones motherboard, it has a different bios than the standard P5S800-VM motherboard).

I need 1440x900 resolution.

Integrated SIS 661FX with 3.93 drivers

I have installed the latest official Asus bios (0413) and my graphics card bios is stuck at 2.20

Here is a link to the Asus Bios page for this motherboard

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?S ... e-PE1&os=8

Any help is appreciated!!!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Well, all you need to do is properly flash the latest bios from Asus as that has VGA bios 2.49 and use the latest driver set as that will give you the 1440x900 resolution.
Vintage-PE1 BIOS version 0413
1- Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
2- Updated VBIOS to 2.49 to support 1440x900 wide screen (Be sure to use vga driver 3.74.02 or later)
3- Enhance compatibility with some CPU.
No need for us to patch this bios.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
axion68

I have 2 of these computers setup the same.

This first one I flashed via the Asus Windows flash utility. The second one I flashed via bootdisk. Both of them still have the VGA bios still listed as 2.20. I am using the 3.93 drivers as well. The bios I am flashing is "V1PE1_0413.ROM"

Is there anything special I need to do to make sure the VGA bios gets flashed as well? The Windows flash utility doesn't really have any options, however IIRC afudos has quite a few switches you can flag while flashing (it has been ages since I have flashed a bios!)

It doesn't seem likely that the bios does not in fact contain the 2.49 bios, but I suppose that could be a possibility as well.

Thanks again
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I will take apart the bios to re-check and verify what bios is in there, for now I don't know if you actually did flash the new bios, please make sure the system bios is indeed 4.13

And did you completely uninstall and reinstall the VGA drivers?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

axion68

edwin wrote:I will take apart the bios to re-check and verify what bios is in there, for now I don't know if you actually did flash the new bios, please make sure the system bios is indeed 4.13

And did you completely uninstall and reinstall the VGA drivers?
I just double checked and the bios is in deed revision 0413 at boot up. The VGA drivers were uninstalled, reboot and then the latest drivers were then installed. On properties -> advanced -> adapter it lists the bios information as version 2.20.

Thanks again!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

sigh... you're right. morons... ok, I'll see what I can do.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Absolutely at your own risk! Make sure you have a way to recovery flash your bios if this one is not working for whatever reason. Please provide feedback about it's working or not.
Attachments
V1PE1_P.ZIP
Asus Vintage-PE1 bios 0413 with VGA BIOS 2.51 from the retail P5S800-VM
(413.27 KiB) Downloaded 698 times
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

axion68

edwin wrote:Absolutely at your own risk! Make sure you have a way to recovery flash your bios if this one is not working for whatever reason. Please provide feedback about it's working or not.

Thank you so much!

Works great so far!!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

So you flashed it, you have vbios 2.51 and you have 1440x900 resolution on your monitor, right? If so, this one can be added to the list and an email can be sent to Asus with the fixed bios :)
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

axion68

edwin wrote:So you flashed it, you have vbios 2.51 and you have 1440x900 resolution on your monitor, right? If so, this one can be added to the list and an email can be sent to Asus with the fixed bios :)

Yes, it is reporting the vbios as 2.51 and I am running 1440x900 resolution.

Thanks again!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

edwin wrote:an email can be sent to Asus with the fixed bios :)
I'd really like to read their answer for this as they made something wrong in their latest Bios.