Novice query - 1680x1050 widescreen

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
loggyboy
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have just purchased a LG L204WS monitor.
When 1st plugging it in the highest res i could choose was 1280x1024, so i searched google and found the following link: http://www.wimsbios.com/files/vgabiospatched/bios.jsp

I have an SIS650 so i downloaded the correct new VGA drivers and installed them.
1680x1050 then became an option, but when i choose this the screen goes blank for a few seconds, only to return to the previous resolution.

So I dowloaded the patch for my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-8SIML (Rev. 1.x) ) and have preplaced the autoexec file but now I'm lost as what to do!
If i run the flash864.EXE file it states that the chipset is not supported, the flash part is not supported and says to check if the flash is protected.
Is there something else i should be doing with the exe file, or the other file (8siml.fe) in the zip folder?

Can any one point me in the a direction that doesnt involve a new graphics card?

Thanks!
cp
BIOS Guru

you have to unpack the files to a selfbooting DOS floppy disk and boot it. a command window will not do! don't ever execute those files from within windows!

bootdisk images are available from www.bootdisk.com
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
loggyboy
New visitors - please read the rules.

cp wrote:you have to unpack the files to a selfbooting DOS floppy disk and boot it. a command window will not do! don't ever execute those files from within windows!

bootdisk images are available from www.bootdisk.com
Great stuff, thanks!
I have now done that and the flash864.exe opens and finds the 8siml.fe file, but what do i do now?!

sorry for all the questions!
cp
BIOS Guru

flash it? update bios? i don't know all those flashers, their options and interfaces by heart. if you'd copy all files (namely the autoexec.bat) in the archive to the disk it should update automagically.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.