Problem with WMV-HD files. A8AE-LE motherboard

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
70mustang
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello all,

This is my first post here. It looks like there are a few members who are A8AE-LE motherboard experts so I'm optimistic that someone will be able to help with my problem. I've had a Compaq SR1834NX for a few months and have recently noticed a problem playing back wmv-hd files. This is an Athlon 64 +3500 machine with an ASUS A8AE-LE motherboard with ATI radeon express 200 integrated graphics chipset. I tested a few files when the machine was new and they played perfectly, but now they are running at less than 2 fps. I think I've have narrowed it down to a BIOS issue. I say that because after messing around with all the software settings, I took the extreme step of reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the original software. After this step, the wmv-hd files still stuttered, which tells me it is a hardware/firmware issue.

This is when I recalled updating the BIOS to ver. 3.13 (file sp26763 on hp's site ) a few weeks earlier. This is the only change I made that would not have been reversed by the full system re-install. Is anyone here running a machine with this motherboard and BIOS revision? If so, could you please check if wmv-hd files play correctly. Is there something else I might be overlooking?

I found a thread which referenced an earlier rev 3.10 BIOS but I can't locate the file (sp26622) on the hp website. If someone has this file I would greatly appreciate it if you could e-mail it to me. This is the last test I can think of before giving up on hd playback.

Perry
KURIAKI

More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
70mustang

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the bios didn't help with my problem. I'm really lost now because as far as I can tell, I've returned my computer to "as shipped" condition. There must be something else I'm missing but I've run out of idea's. Thanks anyway's.

Perry
quicksiler_c5

I have a Compaq 1830NX which was fine until HP asked me to flash to 3.13. However, I was not on 3.10, I was really on 3.14. Now my system is much slower and CPU Usage never drops below 60% where it would go to nearly 0 before.

HP Tech claims there is no 3.14, though I have seen other posts who say that is what they are on.
70mustang

I didn't check the version I was running before I originally flashed 3.13 so I don't really know if it was 3.14 or 3.10.

I've been benchmarking my 2.2Ghz Athlon64 SR1834NX against my 1.8 Ghz PentiumM Dell laptop and the laptop is kicking it's butt. The laptop runs the LAME encoder 4x faster than the Athlon and can play WMV at 23 fps with hardware acceleration disabled. I'm getting about 2 fps with the Compaq. Something is definately wrong. I've tested the Hard drive and the performance specs look normal. I've checked the performance monitor and there are no processes hogging my resources. The lame encoder was using 99% of the cpu and only encoding at 4x realtime.

At this point, I'm thinking it is a harware problem or an issue with the 3.13 bios. If I can locate 3.14 I could give it a try. Otherwise I'll end up sending in under warranty.

Perry
quicksiler_c5

What is your CPU usage from task manager when you are idle? Mine stays 50-100% even when I have nothing running.
70mustang

When I'm idle, the task manager shows my cpu usage at 80-85%. But what's bizare is the system idle process is reading 90-99%.

I ran a system test yesterday and it indicated I have slow memory. I have 1Gb of pc3200 ddr. The benchmark showed my memory throughput at about 1500 MB/sec. I think this is quite slow for this type of memory.

Perry
quicksiler_c5

Agree. I have 2.5 CAS and 2 Gb of Ram and it is reading in the 1000 range when before it was well over 2000.

I really think there is something in the BIOS, I just don't know for sure. I may go the UNICORE upgrade route just to see sice the HP techs don't seem to know that a 3.14 even exists. I even stopped by CC yesterday and looked at a display model and it had 3.14.

Maybe I need to fly to china to get it :-)
quicksiler_c5

Talked to HP again.....yes there is a 3.14, but they have to "flash" it at HP. They sent me an RMA to send it back. Will take 2-weeks. We'll See???
70mustang

Well that sucks. We shouldn't have to go through the hassle of sending back our pc's for something they should be able to e-mail us. I might just go to circuit city and load a copy of the rom onto my flash drive.

Perry
quicksiler_c5

Its fixed. I finally got ahold of a 3.14 BIOS and everything is Smooooth. So 70Mustang, PM me and i'll send the file(s) you need. You will need to use a floppy (easiest).

I used BFLASH and a 314 ROM and all my problems went away CPU usage is nearly 0. There must be something in there that tweaks the amd cpu.
70mustang

I'm glad the new bios took care of your problems. Hope it does the same for me. I just pm'd you.

UPDATE: The 3.14 bios fixed my memory problems. Everything is running faster now and my media encoders are running 4x faster than before. Excellent!

Perry
jkimrey

Hey guys! I'm on v3.13 and having the EXACT same problem.

Where can I find 3.14 and how can I upgrade to it?

I've spent weeks trying to fix this problem, including wiping everything and installing the OS again.

Compaq/HP have been no help whatsoever!

Just happy to see that there IS a fix!

Thanks!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

If someone would be nice enough to tell if we either need to rebuild the upgrade disk OR if we can manually flash the file in some way I might put a bootable upgrade disk online.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jrbull92

You guy's are right! I just talked to Hp and they have no clue! I even sent the forum to them and they still denied it.

Same as the guy before, i too need to replace my bios back to 3.14. Please e-mail me if anybody has this version i can put on my computer.

I don't think I'll ever recomend an HP computer to anybody anymore! Especially since they're the ones that down graded my bios!