S3 UniChrome, Free Resolution

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
Marco78
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

first, i'm from Germany. My english isn't so good. Man kann mir aber auch gerne auf deutsch antworten.

I have a MSI MK3M-V (MS-7061) with VIA/S3 UniChrome IGP.
Because i want to connect the VGA directly to the SCART of a PAL-TV i had to change the Resolution, Refreshrate and had to select interlaced for the IGP.

PowerStrip for Windows is a Programm, that allow all this settings. But the Motherboard BIOS with VGA-ROM does not Support the Resolution.

I need 720X576 Pixel @25Hz/50Hz interlaced

VIA also didn't support free Resolution. With many other Card's and Driver's does it work with PowerStrip.

I updated the VGA-Rom in the BIOS from KMCRT_09.ROM to KMCRT_13.ROM. But nothing changed.

Can someone help me with my Problem and fix the BIOS to apply other Resolutions. Best where free scale. Or 720X576.
And the RAMDAC/Pixel Clock have to set some MHz (around 5) lower then yet.
And i have to enable interlaced.

Many Thx to all how want to help.

PS: I can't use another Grafikcard for the PC. There is no more Space in the Case. It's a HTPC.

The ROM can be downloaded here: http://216.158.218.35/edoc/bios_uploads/7061v32.zip
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Unfortunately, you can't add resolutions that the Video Chip itself was not designed to display. :(
Marco78

KachiWachi wrote:Unfortunately, you can't add resolutions that the Video Chip itself was not designed to display. :(
The VideoChip is desinged to display this and other resolutions.
It's also desinged to show interlaced. That what i need too.

With the Opensource Unichrome-Driver for Linux every Resolutions is possible.

I looked around many hours in on many Sites to get this Information. It's only a Problem about the BIOS and the Windowsdriver.
cp
BIOS Guru

Virtually every video chip is designed to display every resolution (limited by ramdac and available memory ofcourse). and yes, it is a windows issue. tell VIA to write a driver or include every resolution in the vga bios (i doubt that there's enough space ;)) or go for an OS that supports modelines.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

This is what I meant (@what cp said).

Since I could not find a "white paper" on this setup explicitly defining the hardware, I chose to word my response in a general manner.

Thanks.
Marco78

One Year later...
Maybe someone knows a new solution.

Thx for our help!!!!!!!
cp
BIOS Guru

the solution still is:

a) tell VIA to write a proper driver
b) use an OS that supports drivers with (virtually) free resolution

i can for sure tell you that b) is not available with Microsoft Windows.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.