vbios of 2.28.00 for AOpen MX46-533V board with SiS651 chip

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

http://www.badflash.com

As for a PCI card, I very much doubt that is going to work, there's no bios to enumerate any devices on the PCI bus. On ISA that is not needed, it's all hardware.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cdavidson
New visitors - please read the rules.

For the benefit of anyone who suffers the same outcomes I have, below are the step I undertook to revive my computer from a 'dead like' state.

On the advice of a local computer store tech, I...

1) completely disconnected all the drives (floppy, cd-rom, hard drive) from the motherboard (i.e. pulled out the power cords and cables connecting them to the motherboard)

2) removed all other peripherals from the motherboard (i.e. took out all PCI, AGP, etc. cards)

3) left only the keyboard and monitor connected, then rebooted the PC.

Compare to the previous boots where only the light on the CD-ROM flashed once, I was now getting a few different beeps (one of which continued non-stop). Video wasn't working, but at least I had more life in the computer than before.

4) Next I turned off the PC, reconnected the floppy drive, put in my bootable floppy disk, and turned the PC back on.

The beeping noises disappeared, and I could here the PC booting, but still no video to see what was going on.

5) Next I powered off the PC, placed an AGP video card in the AGP slot, and turned the PC back on.

As luck would have it, video came through and I was able to see the PC was booting nicely to a DOS prompt off the floppy. I immediately ran the flash utility and reinstalled my old bios.

6) Next I powered off the PC, replaced all my peripherals and reconnected all my drives.

When I turned the PC back on, the computer instantly returned to working order, and if nothing ever happened. I’m still without the 1440x900 resolution option I was originally after, but at least my PC is working again.

If anyone believes they no why the patched bios didn’t work for my motherboard, I may be willing to try another bios upgrade in the future.

Thanks to everyone who responded on the thread.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Sounds like the new video bios got corrupted somehow. Since you have a backup of your old bios, can you please send that in?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

cp
BIOS Guru

i repatched the bios from the AOpen site. i'd be great if you could try it - if you're still interested. i'll upload it asap.

please keep your bios and the emergency flash disk. just in case something goes wrong again. and if so there's still the option to patch your backup bios like edwin suggested.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
cp
BIOS Guru

i just uploaded the new patched version. feel free to test it. it's available on the download page.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Yiddo1977
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi I this is an old thread however i was given a pc with this motherboard. I would also like it to support 1440x900 which is the native resolution for my monitor.
I have flashed the BIOS with the patched one from the downloads section. Once flashed the system failed to boot.

This part is for cdavidson who probably will never look here again and has already binned his old motherboard however I rercoverd the Bios by downloading the latest bios from the Aopn website (46v110b) put it on the bootable floppy that i flashed the bios previously with. Then I edited the AUTOEXEC.BAT to look like this:

@echo off
cls
awdflash 46v110b.BIN cc/cd/cp/py/sn/cks/r

I first cleared the cmos with the jumper then put the floppy into the drive, Powered up the pc waited while the pc automatically flashes the new Bios then reboots. Make sure the floppy is not in when it reboots. The PC now boots again with the latest bios from Aopen but still no wide screen support.
Would it be possible to get the latest Bios version patched or check the one on your downloads page as it is no good for this motherboard thank you.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I'll try and extract the "651" vbios from that bios and see if it resembles anything that is normally used. I start to get a distinct feeling aopen has customized their vbios in some way making it impossible to use a vanilla 651 vbios.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

edwin
The Hardware Archivist

right, i have obtained another vbios to put inside, please have another try at the attached file.
Attachments
46V110B.ZIP
MX46-533V with 2.30.1 vbios
(218.85 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything