Version 3.14 for A8AE-LE

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
wdeydwondrer
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello

I have an SR1630NX with this board and since i've updated to the 3.13 off compaq's site, I've been having issues with the network and games occasionally lagging on me using a x1650gt. These problems didn't happen before the update, so if I could get the 3.14, that'd be great!!

thanks!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

jwhit wrote:Has anyone tried the 3.15 version on the hp web site? I saw that another user had trouble with this.

I want to try it but I'm not sure that the file I got (I downloaded version 3.14 here:
hxxp://files.filefront.com/314+A8AE+LE+Motherboard+BIOS/;8314893;/fileinfo.html
)
is any good. I hear that a number of 3.14 files weren't any good.

I want to have 3.14 on hand just in case 3.15 doesn't work.

Oh, will it work if I load the BIOS onto a usb drive instead of a floppy (which I don't have)
I have got a bootable floppy image only. No bootable USB stick version yet.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jwhit

Edwin,

Would I be able to use that BIOS with winflash (or some other similar app) or is it strictly floppy deal?

If I would be able to use it from the os I would appreciate a copy.
needhelp818

I need the 3.14 BIOS can someone e-mail to me PLEASE
e-mail is haik90@netzero.net
mrmrsr

I only know enuff to be dangerous. I've forgotten much of what I once knew - don't use it enuff.
I've got Compaq sr1650nx AmberineM sb400 (PHOENIX 3.13 11/15/2005 according to BeLarc Advisor) bought new 2.5 yrs ago. Still use oem XP-MCE. About a year ago computer went berserk until I removed DVD-ROM drive that was on IDE1 cable with DVD-RW. After that machine worked again.
Recently I bought and installed CPU AMD ATHLON64x2 4200+ 2.2G 939 90N. Machine worked fine. Then increased ram from 1G to 2.5G. Restarts were unsuccessful and I tried recovery from OEM partition. Would not complete. So I tried recovery CDs I had previosly made from partition. Even full recovery would not overcome problems. So I tried a factory Oem Gateway XP-MCE recovery disk. No joy. Then the recovery CDs I bought from HP/Compaq arrived. No joy. So I figured the problem was elsewhere. I reduced the memory to one stick 1GB DDR PC400. I tried full recovery from OEM CDs again(Does that FORMAT HDD, set up fresh recovery partition, and install all software?). Still no joy.
I used a bootable utility disk (that came with a WesternDigital HDD) to format and setup the same Seagate SATA HDD that I have been using for all of these attempts. This time OEM full recovery SUCCESSFUL!!
I have loaded varios software and am using it now on the internet.
WindowsTaskManager Performance tab shows CPU usage at 1 or 2 %. And at the same time WTM Processes tab shows System Idle Process at 99% or 98% depending on what shows up on all of the other Process lines. I think the CPU column on the Process tab should add up to 100%. Others are misinterpreting this? Or am I?
I read all 32 pages of this forum topic. Is there a test or check that I can do now or later (when I think maybe BIOS 3.13 over extended period becomes problematic)?
Where is the feedback on 3.15? ESUPPORT scan says they have an upgrade to my bios. Do they write their own or are they referring to 3.15? Should I make any changes? I am considering buying a fast nVidea PCI-E video card for this machine (and to carry over to this machine's replacent).
(Also ESUPPORT said I have 1GB memory installed and a max allowed of 2GB. All other documentation says 4GB max for the 4 slots?)
I hope my struggles help someone else. Thanks for your time and any advice that comes my way. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

3.15 seems to be bad news only so far. esupport version is different from 3.15 and it costs money too.

problem with 3.13 seems to be the southbridge chip support, this includes the ide and sata controllers so yes, this might give more clues.

Thank you very much for your report, it points yet a bit more to the already suspected area (IE southbridge chip).
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

mrmrsr

Edwin,
Please send BIOS 3.14 - I might as well go for it.
"IF WE CAN'T FIX IT - IT AIN'T BROKE!" :lol:
thanks
needhelp818

After I tried to update to 3.15 my computer crashed, the bios does not boot up I need 3.13 or 3.10 verison if you have the driver with the flash can you e-mail it to me at haik90@netzero.net THANKX for future help
HAPPY NEW YEAR
needhelp818

I tried a couple of different BIOS verison from similar motherboard with the ASUS brand and it give a flash ROM is protected error also I am using bin files
needhelp818

I got it to work :D
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

needhelp818 wrote:I got it to work :D
That's good news, thanks for reporting back. What flash utility did you use?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

segjfm

Followed HP advice to flash 3.15. Now have a new motherboard but want to salvage old board by replacing bios chip and return to 3.14. Can anyone send me a 3.14 copy?
Thanks
needhelp818

edwin wrote:
needhelp818 wrote:I got it to work :D
That's good news, thanks for reporting back. What flash utility did you use?

Go to http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx for product choice motherboard, Series Socket 939, then for model choice A8V-XE, then click on BIOS-Utilities and that is that flash I used along with a bootable floppy and BIOS 3.14. GOOD LUCK :D
mrmrsr

I got 3.14 from Edwin and used the winflash he suggested. At first, it did not complete. Clicked update, then it said something about BIOS FILE SIZE DOES NOT MATCH MAINBOARD. Eventually I went back to the 3.14 bios file where I had stored it, right clicked, and checked its properties, and saw that (not a direct quote) THIS FILE IS FROM ANOTHER COMPUTER AND HAS BEEN BLOCKED TO PROTECT THIS COMPUTER. I don't know. Maybe my ESET Smart Security anti-virus did it. A click or two in the properties window and it was unblocked. I went back to the update process that I had left open, and it ran smooth and quick. Reboot was smooth ,too. Windows start showed that a registry file(did not name) was automatically replaced successfully. I think that showed up because the CMOS primary video setting was at PCI, so I changed back to correct ONBOARD. I rebooted a few more times and also loaded bios defalts and restarted and changed back to proper settings and restarted. Checked out the internet and found my connections were disabled. "enable" on the right-click menu would not do it. Same menu, opened properties, a few more clicks and they were enabled again. Device Manager would not open for a few attempts. I went on to something else and now it opens fine. Everything is working well so far. :?: The boot diagnostic and the All Programs/System Information for bios version still says 3.13, same as before update.
I'm still using the OEM XP-MCE (NOT Vista).
Daiwe01

Just FYI: I installed 3.15 on my sister's Presario with no problem using the downloaded Compaq file.

I was trying to release the memory allocated to onboard video after I installed additional memory (total 4 x 256 MB) and a PCI-E video card.

New video card works fine, but shows it has 512 MB of memory. Nope, sorry, that is double the true supported amount. The only related displayed BIOS option is to set video (onboard, PCI or PCI-e).
System will "freeze" at some random time. MemTest86+ runs OK with BIOS or poll memory, but immediate errors with all memory.

SO, finally to the question ;-) , how can I deallocate the onboard video memory? :?: