16:9 widescreen support in ASUS K8S-MX

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
nm_ranga
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi all,

I bought a new samsung 2033SW wide screen monitor. My mobo is K8S-MX. I don't get the resolutions of 16:9. I always have set of resolutions showing old 4:3 in windows.

Whatever driver I installed, the set of available resolutions are still 4:3 and the pixels are strecthed.

Will patching the BIOS solve the problem. Also how secure is it to have a BIOS patched?

My chipset is SIS760

thx
cp
BIOS Guru

the patched bios is available on our download page. check the sticky thread in this section and READ it!
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
nm_ranga

cp wrote:the patched bios is available on our download page. check the sticky thread in this section and READ it!
CP,
Thanks. I read the sticky. Few questions.

1. I didn't understand what it means by "Currently there is NO WAY to support widescreen without rendering your main LCD useless (it will just stay black and won't display anything at all). If you don't care about your main LCD open a new thread and ask for a patched bios."

Also, the warning tells "With a bios patched for widescreen you will not be able to use: DVI, TV-OUT or (on laptops) LCD"

What does I "can't" use my LCD mean?

2. I checked in download section. I didn't find anything specific for ASUS K8S-MX. Is there any other equivalent patched BIOS there?

3. Is there any other harmful consequence by having (video) BIOS patched?

Thanks for your time.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Pleas read through this thread:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic969 ... ight=k8smx
You need to flash the latest Bios and install a recent driver by SIS to get these widescreen resolutions working. The latest Bios already contains a recent enought Video Bios to support certain widescreen resolutions.

You need to know how to flash a Bios. The LCD warning message only applies to Laptop users as there's another chip involved. This chip nees a special treatment by the Bios but that's not possible with our patched Bios due to lack of data how to access it.
cp
BIOS Guru

oops, sorry. you need the latest bios from the ASUS support site. it contains a video bios that supports widescreen resolutions.
just make sure to install the latest SIS drivers, too.
nm_ranga

1. I already have latest BIOS installed from ASUS.
2. Uninstalled old VGA drivers
3. I installedAGP(GART) driver (1.21, ~3.5MB)
4. Also installed latest SiS drivers V3.85.

Now i get all set of resolutions. :)
But screen is scrolling at edges of monitor :(

What to do?
cp
BIOS Guru

please post the version of the video bios displayed in the SIS info tab under display options.
nm_ranga

Driver version 6.14.10.3850
Bios version 2.51.00

I installed Sis driver using setup installer. When i tried to do it manually it returned error code (10) with some run time exceptions

Also, I tried to hook up with Nvidia FX 5200 card. but could not succeed. The screen went blank after it showed windows logo. So had to remove the card and its drivers.

Concluding, I tries most of combinations whatever I can do. But everything went vain.

Also note that though my chip type is Sis760. My mobo CD tells as if it is 760GX and the adapter which i got installed is (automatically thro Sis setup) is

SiS 651_661FX_741_760_760GX_M661FX_M741_M760_M760GX

Also note I have installed 2033SW monitor driver too.

I tried my best for last two days. But all hope lost :(.

thx
cp
BIOS Guru

uninstall the SIS vga drivers. unpack (don't install!) the SIS vga driver package somewhere on your harddisk and reboot. after windows comes up again it'll find the VGA as a new device and ask for the driver. point it to the previously unpacked driver. you might have to reboot again.

please check if 1440x900 or 1680x1050 resolutions work as intended before checking any other resolutions.
nm_ranga

Hi cp,

I had already done this before. But no hope.

can you tell me what is the actual problem? I am not even able to understand what the problem actually is.

thx
cp
BIOS Guru

it returned error code (10) with some run time exceptions
THIS shouldn't happen at all. seems like your Windows installation is broken or your system is not running stable (PSU, overheating, blown capacitors, etc.)

if the problem persists you should check your system components and reinstall Windows afterwards.
the bios is one of the few known-good candidates from their manufacturers. the problems you encounter are not caused by issues with the video bios or the bios. their source must be something else.
nm_ranga

cp,

There is no prob like that i guess

Whenever i install driver manually, i see lot of drivers available in the (backed up) VGA folder (UniVGA 3.85 from Sis)

In that i see Sis 760GX and Sis 651_661FX_741_760_760GX_M661FX_M741_M760_M760GX and lots of others

The run time error popped up only when i installed Sis760GX driver "manually".

when i installed Sis 651_661FX_741_760_760GX_M661FX_M741_M760_M760GX it did not pop up any error. Set up had finished successfully.

I really donno the diff between Sis 651_661FX_741_760_760GX_M661FX_M741_M760_M760GX and Sis 760GX adapters. But what i know is that i need the former adapter only.

As said in previous posts, there is no prob in my PC other than scrolling.
Putting in other way, windows is still stretching the pixels (that too in one direction alone) and panning the window when i hover on edges.

I had snapshots of all err windows. But forum is not allowing me to show those.
cp
BIOS Guru

I really donno the diff between Sis 651_661FX_741_760_760GX_M661FX_M741_M760_M760GX and Sis 760GX adapters. But what i know is that i need the former adapter only.
the driver is the same for all those IGPs. the driver installer just names them all because they all have PCIIDs 0325 and 0330. SIS could have distinguished between 0325 and 0330 but that's cosmetic. you could alter the .inf file and enter 'Wim's BIOS VGA Adapter' as text, too. it wouldn't change a thing.
As said in previous posts, there is no prob in my PC other than scrolling.
THIS happens because the VGA card doesn't use the native LCD resolution. the LCD then tries to match the VGA resolution to its own resolution and subsequently fails. if the VGA uses a LCD-native resolution (like 1440x900 or 1680x1050) then the LCD wouldn't have to do any mapping. and believe me (or the Linux kernel sources instead): the SIS VGA adapter (hardware) is able to do almost any resolution you want it to do but the SIS Windows driver (software) really messes it all up. at least it can do 1440x900 and 1680x1050 with a video bios 2.28.00 or later and the latest SIS univga driver if installed properly.
nm_ranga

Hi CP,

I was out of reach from my PC for a while. Just tried once again from scratch.

1. Uninstall all Sis drivers (using both control panel and device man)
2. Unpacked Sis contents (v 3.85) separately.
3. Restarted PC, when prompted for drivers .. I manually located it.
4. Setup finished.

Hurray !!! now I have no prob.No scrolling/panning. Got 16:10 resolutions working perfect. I donno how this happened time right. I donno what I did wrong in prev attempts.

Only one concern i have. I get 16:10 ratios (I use 1440 * 900 not 1680*1050) but my LCD has 16:9 aspect ratio ( I need 1600 * 900).

Which means my pixels are getting stretched lighlty. How do I get 16:9 ratios?

Thanks once again for your time
cp
BIOS Guru

How do I get 16:9 ratios?
Use Linux with its excellent 3rd party SIS drivers. Or buy an add-on card which is NOT SIS ;)