120 Gig: 12/16/1999-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KQ19C

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
shades
New visitors - please read the rules.

Seems like a popular one at the moment, the 120Gig on 440BX motherboards, though a QDI one this time:

Program: Unicore BIOS Agent Version 1.8
BIOS Date: 12/16/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 12/16/1999-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KQ19C
BIOS Eval: P6I440BX BrillianX-1 BIOS V2.0SL Dec.16,1999
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 2
Superio: Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h

Bought an IBM Deskstar 120G, which also (virtually the same as GilbertsGrape) hangs on bootup when trying to detect it.

I've had the latest QDI BIOS for a while, the 2.0SL, and even tried the latest flash from their website again today (as it claims to be dated 12/23/1999 and have support for large HDD). Same result (same BIOS!).

Any help in getting my new 120Gig drive working on this machine would be VERY much appreciated....

Many thanks

Shades
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://www.qdi.nl/support/download/BX1.htm > Only for PCB1.x Mainboards !!
shades

Now I just need to work out how I can if it's a PCB1.x mainboard....

Any ideas????

Nothing obvious on the board itself.....

Shades
Denniss wrote:http://www.qdi.nl/support/download/BX1.htm > Only for PCB1.x Mainboards !!
shades

And this also claims to only support 80G drives - or does that mean that it'll also happily support my 120 Gig?? Any ideas....?

Thanks for the help Denniss - appreciated.

Shades
Denniss wrote:http://www.qdi.nl/support/download/BX1.htm > Only for PCB1.x Mainboards !!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Seems some type of error in the description of the 2.0sl Bios - they say for PCB1.x and PCB2.x .
All other Bios tell us PCB1.x is correct.
Some misinformation with PCB2.x - seems to be non-existing .
Bios is for your Board .

P.S. : With a special CPU-converter card you'll be able to use Tualatin Celeron !!

P.S.2 : Seems they have updated some of the older boards with newer Bios supporting more than 64GB .
shades

Denniss - You're the man!!!

Found (what I think is) the PCB board type, on the edge of the board near the memory slots - it says "1.0 (something)" - so I thought it was worth a go anyway....

Flashed it - no problems...

Rebooted - worked a treat. Straight into BIOS setup, AUTO'd the drive (this previously made it crash!)... No problem. Saved and rebooted - with the HDD summary page reporting 123G! RESULT!

'Disk Drive' install when detecting new hardware resulted in a Blue Screen repeatedly, though used Partition Magic to partition and format - and let windows detect and use the new Volume and it all works great now.

God knows why the BS appears (detected 'Disk Drive' do you want to load driver, yes please, BANG!).

So - thanks very much Denniss - My 120GB drive is working well, and copying everything back to it as I type.

This forum is great - I'd have been pretty stuck without you!

Thanks again....

Shades
Denniss wrote:Seems some type of error in the description of the 2.0sl Bios - they say for PCB1.x and PCB2.x .
All other Bios tell us PCB1.x is correct.
Some misinformation with PCB2.x - seems to be non-existing .
Bios is for your Board .

P.S. : With a special CPU-converter card you'll be able to use Tualatin Celeron !!

P.S.2 : Seems they have updated some of the older boards with newer Bios supporting more than 64GB .