80Gb Hitachi Deskstar with SOYO SY-6BB

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Aceroamargo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello, I can't install a Hiitachi Deskstar 80GB disk, in my SOYO SY-6BB.
Guess, I need a BIOS upgrade for these:

BIOS/Board Soyo 6BB
BIOS Type: AWARD V4.51PG, BB-1A8 installed.
BIOS ID: 01/20/1999 - i440BX - ITE867 - 2A69KS2GC - 00

I download and patch with: bbv101a6.bin from: www.wimsbios.com page, but I suppose that it is an incorrect version, because it frizzes when entering in the BIOS options.
Luckily I was able to reboot and reflash with the previous version (BB-1A8).

I would be very grateful if you could pass me the correct version.

Kind regards,

Ricardo (from Argentina, in quarantine).
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Hi,

The bios we have is for the V1.0 revision of the board. You most likely have a newer release for which you need 1a7 or 1a8 instead of 1a6. I will patch 1a8 and attach it to my next posting.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

patched bios, please unzip before use. and please report back if it works.
Attachments
6bb-1a8-patched.zip
(115.08 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Aceroamargo

Hi, Edwin. Thank you very much for your help.

The BIOS file that you sent me patched did not work. The PC boots but when I enter the BIOS options like STANDARD CMOS SETUP or AUTO HARD DISK DETECT, the system crashes and there is no going back, you have to reboot.
If I enter in other BIOS option, then, I can change settings, and then save and exit, but the system doesn't recognize the hard disk.
I tried with the two disks that I have (the one mentioned above, Hitachi Deskstar 80Gb, another WD CAVIAR 40Gb and also without any disk), and in all cases the system freezes.
Attached I send images of the system data (previously sent), plus the bios start screen and additionally, the BB-1A8.BIN (ziped) file that normally runs with the machine (but obviously, does not detect large disks).
Will it be possible to do something about it? I thought the patch had worked for everyone, could there be an error?

Again, I really appreciate that you're bothering to help me.

Best regards,

Ricardo
Attachments
20200427_192630.jpg
20200427_192402.jpg
6bb-1a8.rar
(114.48 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
Aceroamargo

Sorry, I missed one file in last repply. I send here.
Attachments
20200428_212501.jpg
Aceroamargo

I don't know if what I posted before will help, but I included the original (working) BB-1A8 version of my mother.
Could someone patch it, so I can try it to see it works?

I would appreciate that so much.

Thank you

Ricardo
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I checked and the bios backup you gave is binary identical to the one I patched. What I am going to do is using a different patcher for the bios.

Oh one more notice, I know WD harddisks do not like to be set for master if there is no slave disk, they will search almost forever before allowing the system to boot.

You have tested both disks in another system with the same cable you use on your 6BB? Can you at least try the WD with the 32GB clipping jumper set with the original bios to make sure the hardware combination as such allows the system to boot?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Aceroamargo

Hi Edwin:

I was pretty busy, so I couldn't get into the forum these days. Regarding your questions: the disks are tested in another system, and they are working. They were not tested with the same cable, but this cable works perfectly with another 8Gb disk, that is currently the only one I have to boot this motherboard.
Regarding the 40 Gb disk with clipping for 32Gb, I must mention that I have already carried out all the possible tests (master-slave, only master), and in no case does the BIOS recognize it, that is, the IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION does not configure it, and therefore the system does not see it.

Thank you for your help.

Reggards,

Ricardo
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Ok, so just putting the 32GB clipping jumper on and NO jumper for master/slave (setting it for single drive only) is not working either? That is indeed odd behaviour. Let me see if I can find similar cases and a possible solution.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Aceroamargo

Yes, It is just as you are describing it. These days maybe I can get a Soyo SY-7SBB motherboard, with which I hope to test all the disks.
In this case, the 128Gb patch, found on the page www.wimsbios.com, works fine?
Is the same BIOS type, AWARD V4.51PG.

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

It looks like the 7SBB has been tested and works with a Maxtor 60GB. It is patched until 128GB, usually if it is beyond 32GB and working with 128GB patch, until 120GB disks work too.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Aceroamargo

Good morning, Edwin. My bad luck is endless. I got the Soyo SY-7SBB motherboard, and it only booted twice, WITHOUT ANY ALTERATION TO THE BIOS. It just stopped working. No video and just makes a series of continuous, regular beeps, endlessly, until I turn it off.
Now I'm going to put a post in the corresponding section, to see if anyone can give me a hand with this.

Cheers,

Ricardo