80GB HDD 61-1026-001169-00111111-071595-440BX-1440B000

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
SummerRain
New visitors - please read the rules.

Here is the output of Bios Agent:

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.60
BIOS Date: 10/26/99
BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID: 61-1026-001169-00111111-071595-440BX-1440B000
OEM Sign-On: A6119P2 V1.90 10/26/99
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h
CPU: Pentium® III (0.25 µm) 450 MHz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
Memory Installed: 63 MB
Memory Maximum: Unknown
ACPI Revision: 1.0

I have an old Packard-Bell Platinum, and the old HDD died, i tried to install a 80gb but the bios hangs up when it tries to identify the HDD.

I have searched here in the forums for the ms-6119 and i found this post:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic793 ... ght=ms6119
and i downloaded thid bios http://support.packardbell.com/de/item/ ... _legacy_PB

but i get an error:
Verify ROM data now...Error 20 - Flash ROM cannot be correctly programmed.

i tried several times and i have got the same error and the bios still can't recognize my 80GB HDD.

Anyone please help me...

Thanks in advanced
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Even though it says it can't verify it, it is programmed with that version. So I fear the latest bios from Packard Bell cannot solve the problem. What you can do is set the capacity limit jumper on the harddisk, this way it will present itself as being only 32GB in size and the bios should be able to handle that.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
SummerRain

First thanks for replying

I'm not sure that the BIOS is updated even though BIOS Agent says that the version is 1.9. first when i open the BIOS i don't see any changes and it says that the version is 1.16, secondly the date of the file on PB site and the date of the file here are different but i'm not sure that this is realy matters.

anyway, if i will change the jumpers (which i don't know how, it's a WD800BB drive) will it erase the rest of the data and the partition structure that already exist and how will windows and linux recognize this drive ( as 80GB or 32GB).

if there is any other BIOS updates that may help please feel free to advise

thanks
cp
BIOS Guru

is there any bios protection jumper on the board? check the bios for a feature that permits bios programming. and finally use uniflash to program the bios.
if you're using linux and windows xp or windows 2000 there's no need for a bios update. just look at the hdd for a 32GB clip jumper. the hdd will hide it's real size from the bios (and thus not crashing it) but reveals it to windows and linux ofcourse. this way there are no limitations for the use of the hdd except one: the boot partition has to reside completely within the space that's detected by the bios (in your case 32GB).

there is also a patched bios:
http://wims.rainbow-software.org/nicks/ ... PnP%29.zip
courtesy of NickS (but untested!)
you can give it a try but make sure to backup your old bios first. and have another mainboard for hotflashing handy in case of emergency.
SummerRain

i don't know about any protection jumper, there is a jumper to clear and reset the CMOS.
when i look on my Motherboard i see that my version is 1.1 and not 1.2 as in NickS patched BIOS so i'm not sure whether it's safe or not

any suggestions?
SummerRain

PLEASE HELP !!!
i'have tried NickS flash but now my computer does not responding.
what to do?
cp
BIOS Guru

i assume that you did read my previous post, did you? from that i conclude that you've made a backup copy of your bios. here is a HOWTO flash a BIOS with hotswap. just flash the backup copy back to the chip.

look, i don't quite get why you flashed a BIOS that you suspected not to fit your mainboard.
ah, and btw. there is an official update that would fix the hdd detection issue:

http://www.msi-technology.de/produkte/m ... Seite=BIOS

since you're using a PIII BIOS Version 2.A would be the one for you.
SummerRain

thanks for helping
but i don't have another motherboard to do this procedure, so i guess this computer ended is life

thanks anyway
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

SummerRain wrote:thanks for helping
but i don't have another motherboard to do this procedure, so i guess this computer ended is life
thanks anyway
Do you have a board with switches like this one?
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/9528/schowek01wl6.jpg
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Denniss
BIOS Guru

NickS wrote:Do you have a board with switches like this one?
MS-6119 rev 1.1 should be with jumpers, from 1.2 on it's with CPU PnP (setting in Bios).
SummerRain

NickS wrote:Do you have a board with switches like this one?
I don't have switches like those
AFAIK i have switches to reset the BIOS (I tried but it does nothing) and switched for power as the green one in the top left corner in your photo.
I found a good description of my MB:
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/tacoma.htm

How can i recognize my BIOS chip, i mean how it looks like?
Do you think that i can purchase one, and how much it costs?

Thanks
cp
BIOS Guru

if your mainboard is the one that is shown on the drawing of the link you posted the bios chip is the chip that's right below the WOL connector (number 23).
getting a chip isn't the problem. the problem will be to program it with the correct bios without another mainboard or an external flasher.
though you can buy preprogrammed chips it would be crucial to know the exact model and version of your mainboard!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

In the diagram you link to, the BIOS chip is next to the WOL connector (23) and has a label on it probably saying something about American Megatrends Inc. or AMI.

You might ask an electronics/computer repair shop to re-flash your existing ROM, giving them the BIOS file, or you might buy one from one of the places that you can find by a Google search for "replacement BIOS". You must be very clear what board you have. Prices vary from $15 in US upwards ($8 if they reflash), but I don't know what postage would be to your country.
SummerRain

Thanks for helping
How did you know that this is the correct chip?
Does the BIOS chip usualy located in that place on the MB?

Thanks
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I compared the diagram with a picture that I found on Google which showed a chip with a familiar-looking label on it - I don't know about cp. Different motherboards have different size, shape, type and placement of the BIOS chip but they usually have a label.