Acorp 5TX52 jumper settings needed for BIOS flash

Ask a question about your computer setup.
gold007
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an old socket 7(pentium 1) mobo called Acorp 5tx52 and I cant find anything about it. Just the information that is on the mobo, so it worths nothing for me. But when I try to flash the bios with uniflash, it says, that my mobo might be in flash write protect mode or something like that, but I cant find it in the bios, niether on the mobo, niether anywhere.
So could you please help me? Or can I simply flash the bios with this message?

Sorry for my english, but Im not not British or American
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Your English is good enough to make us understand the issue.

What version of uniflash are you using?
What is your current bios version?
What file are you trying to use for the update?
Are you booting froma clean DOS bios-flashing DOS environment (no himem.sys/emm386 stuff)?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
gold007

I use the latest(I think) its version 1.4 and in the readme there is my chipset(triton III 430tx) as supported.
My current bios is E and I want to flash a modified version of G to support HDDs up to 128gb. Its from wim's bios so it should be correct.
All that on the disk is:(for the dir a: /a command)

io.sys
msdos.sys
command.com
5tx52_e.bin(backup of current bios)
uniflash.exe
uniflash.txt
uniflash.lng
file id.diz(came with uniflash)
5tx52_hx.bin(new bios with large hdd support)

I made this disk yesterday using a 386 machine with ms-dos 6.22
gold007

Where is my reply?? I wrote it a day ago and I still cant see it! I know, that its a time, while the server processes and posts the messages, but not a day! :(
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Your reply is visible. Maybe it needed to be approved, has to do with anti-spam measures on the forum.

As far as I can find, you should be able to flash your bios just fine. make sure the new bios is not write-protected on the floppy
(attrib -s -r -h )
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
gold007

Yes, I SHOULD be able(and I want to be able), but I cant! The bios is in write protect mode and I cant turn it off!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

What's the exact error message ?
Does uniflash properly detect the Flashrom chip type ?
gold007

I tried with uniflash, but it says, that my mobo might be in write protect mode and does not detect the chip, it says unknown flash type or something. I cant turn write protect off, neither with jumpers or in the bios. But I also tried with awdflash 5.5 and it detects the chip and flash type, but it says "erase chip fail" and gets me back to dos prompt. I tried a several times with 8-9 types of awdflash, but only two detects the chip and noone works!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://comp.disneyjazz.net/p34_10.html
-> this should be your board

What kind of Flashrom is detected by the various Flash programs ?
Does it match with the manufacturer and number printed onto the chip itself (peel-off the Award label) ?

Info: If the Flashrom part number starts with 29 then the Flashrom voltage selector (red jumper left of the flashrom) should be set to 5V, if it starts with 28 the jumper needs to be on the 12V position. If the board is equipped with a 27 part it's not a flashrom.
Image shops a Jumper JP8 just above the Flashrom - is there something printed onto the board what purpose this jumper has ?

Flashrom example part numbers:
SST 29EE010, Atmel 29C010, MXIC 28F1000PPC
gold007

Yes its the same(mine is 1.4 pictured is 1.6 but looks the same). The jumper above the bios is the cmos clear jumper, what is on the left of the chip is the 5/12v jumper, and its in 12v position. The chip is MX 28F1000PPF-12C4. The number, that flash program give is 28F010 /12V
Denniss
BIOS Guru

gold007 wrote:The chip is MX 28F1000PPF-12C4. The number, that flash program give is 28F010 /12V
Are you sure it's labeled 28F1000PPF and not PPC ?
From my experience Uniflash does have problems detecting the chip but you may use the -force option + matching chip number to force write algorythms for this chiptype.
AFAIR you have to run uniflash -force or -chiplist to see supported chips and their associated numbers, you may need an additional |more if the chiplist does not auto-pause.
The other option would be to use an older award flash prog still supporting this old chiptype. Try this one: http://download.ecsusa.com/dlfileecs/bi ... /awd66.exe
gold007

Sorry, its PPC, I mistyped that. But I tried with several versions of awdflash. From 1.20 to 8.63, but only two, 5.32 and 5.5 worked, but these said erase chip fail and got me out to dos prompt whatever I did. version 6.6 that you linked doesnt work, it doesnt detect the chip.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Please search for a Bios Flash protect option in your Bios.
Other problem sources are the PSU, if it does not deliver 12V but slightly below it may not be enough to erase the chip. And the chip itself could fail.
Have you tried with Uniflash, forcing it to use the chip-specific algorythms ?
gold007

I tested the PSU some months ago and the 12v was 11,9-11,95V so it should be enough. But if I cant flash it I also can ask somebody with a flash programmer to burn the bios into the chip, so it must be successfull and not erase chip fail or something.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

gold007 wrote:I tested the PSU some months ago and the 12v was 11,9-11,95V so it should be enough. But if I cant flash it I also can ask somebody with a flash programmer to burn the bios into the chip, so it must be successfull and not erase chip fail or something.
If everything else work these less than 12V may be enough to pevent a successfull earasing of the chip. These 12V MXIC chips were not very voltage tolerant, more then 12V is OK but less is a No-Go.