BIOS Settings

Ask a question about your computer setup.
Darrell
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a HP Pavilion 6545. When you turn on the computer it gives an error "Cannot find operating system". I checked the BIOS Settings I found that the Primary Master does not list a hard drive the listed selection is (NONE). I tried to change the setting to (AUTO) & then saved the settings. When I turn it back on I get the same error "Cannot find operating system." Phoenix BIOS

How do I get a copy to reinstall. That is I believe it is the BIOS because I also tried to do a rebuild with the system recovery disk supplied with the system. I got an error "Aborted could not find hard drive."

Any ideas??
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Has this system ever worked, or have you just got that PC recently?
Your HDD "might" be dead, if the data and power cables are plugged correctly, and still refuses to work.
Darrell

Darrell wrote:I have a HP Pavilion 6545. When you turn on the computer it gives an error "Cannot find operating system". I checked the BIOS Settings I found that the Primary Master does not list a hard drive the listed selection is (NONE). I tried to change the setting to (AUTO) & then saved the settings. When I turn it back on I get the same error "Cannot find operating system." Phoenix BIOS

How do I get a copy to reinstall. That is I believe it is the BIOS because I also tried to do a rebuild with the system recovery disk supplied with the system. I got an error "Aborted could not find hard drive."

Any ideas??
I have fixed this problem now 04/29/2002.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Good, but we'd also appreciate some feedback on "how".
bboaze

See if your bios has a hdd auto detect function. This would be on the first page, not a setting for hard drive type. If it does, set all drives to none and run the hdd auto detect. If it doesn't find your drive, it is either dead or incompatible.